Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
i can't stop myself to give you good questions - kallastro
A 16-week-old afebrile infant presents with a runny nose and cough for the past 2 to 3 days. Physical examination shows that the infant has intercostal retractions and bilateral rales, with a respiratory rate of 52 breaths/min and a heart rate of 128 beats/min. You order a chest x-ray, which shows diffuse infiltrates. The delivery was normal and spontaneous at full term. How did the infant most likely acquire this infection?

A. In your office during the routine 2-week visit
B. Transplacentally
C. During the birth process
D. By droplet infection
E. By airborne infection

meconium aspiration during birth precess
Is it Chlamydia pneumonia ?
read the question too fast ...the answer is e....
airborne...no immunizaqtion ????
i think triplehelix is good in pediatrics...answer is C.....

To answer this question correctly, you must first make the correct diagnosis: Chlamydia pneumoniae. The keys to diagnosis are that this young infant is afebrile, with bilateral rales, and diffuse infiltrates. In addition, the age of 16 weeks is the classic period for Chlamydia pneumoniae to present in the newborn. If you spell "sixteen" as "cixteen" to remember that "C" is for chlamydia, it might serve you well on the examination. Also note that, on the board examination, you will be provided with vital signs and laboratory values. When you note a respiratory rate of 54 breaths/min, it is important to write the word "tachypnea" in the margin to help jog your memory. Once you make the correct diagnosis you can answer the question correctly. This infection is acquired during passage in the birth canal.

Reference

American Academy of Pediatrics. Chlamydia (Chlamydophila) pneumoniae. In: Pickering LK, ed. Red Book: 2003 Report of the Committee on Infectious Diseases. 26th ed. Elk Grove Village, Ill: American Academy of Pediatrics; 2003:235-237.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »