Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My 1st iv from IM - doraboots
???
I have interviewed at El Paso. it has huge hispanic patient population , because of its location. the program director likes to get residents from Mexico. There is not a single non-mexican resident there.
Lasy year I interviewed there. They offered me a prematch. I did not take it. I think that is the best decision I have made in my life until now as I ended up matching up with a good program with lots of fellowships.

Basically el paso is an overwhelmingly mexican dominated area. 8 out of 10 patients speak only spanish and if you don't speak spanish, then it will be very difficult to manage. They don't even have a single fellowship available. Their residents ending up in fellowships at other programs is almost nil.

Intern year is the most stressful and difficult year in the life. If language barrier also adds to this, then the problem is really worse.

If I were in your position, I would keep el paso as the last option.
I can't stop laughing.....people has no clue about El paso...perhaps is not the typical american city but it is VERY SAFE...the same rules, the same way of traffic, etc...there are more dangerous cities in US than El paso...off course there are a lot of hispanic population but most of them speak both languages....
I you have been once at jackson memorial hosp at Miami you must have seen at least 60% of hispanic patients in the hospital..that does not make bad the program...and JMH has many not spanish speaking residents...so you will not be limited by that...
Perhaps TT El paso is not the best U program but is better than most of the communtity programs around US
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »