Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uncles,Nephews,Husbands,Neices,Cousins- MATCH 2009 - yellowfever
Actually I can tell with 100% surety, there is 0% sincere selection............be PD's son in law.....with pass score for s1...s2...s2cs & no visa.........no...........ships.........no usce........u can get into the particular program.
be PD's son-in-law...

get Emergency Medicine with both scores mid 80s.
hi
i attended one interview , where a candidate girl was asked the question why family medicine. and she says coz i want to treat the people. that was her answer and she was done with this answer.
later on i got to know that she is wife of the current resident , and my all questions were answered at that moment only.
I have seen one very spoilt brat of my college, my senior, getting IM at a very prestigious university program with low 80/mid80 score, as his brother-in-law was the fellow there.
What you are saying is all true. I have seen many examples. Even someone with attempts and step scores 70s getting IM ( with no externship, observership) due to first degree relative in program.

For me, I have nobody to depend on so I knew it would be hard so I did 1 full year of US clinical experience, volunteering, etc, and somehow got 8 interviews in Family Medicine. Even my spouse is not in Medicine ( Thank God! It would be too stressful to have to discuss about Medicine even at home!)

i know 3-4 people who's husbands were already in the program got in later.mere contacts. some of them managed to get observerships there and applied late in oct and still matched.
one more person got into a big univ program that too radiology coz that person had an uncle who is the chairperson of some other department.the most weirdest part is this person as soon as taking step-3 just walked into the univ for interview in june and joined by sept.how unproffessional is that.
LOL

Yeah, the match is pretty unfair. I am used to very objective selection because I am from India where examination is everything. But guess things are very different here, there are too many confounding factors- contacts, match of personalities, what not.
I met a lady in FM program at a very prestiogious Univ (shes only IMG rest are USMGs) just becoz her husband is a Patho fellow in the Hospital who was working with a senior FM faculty member.

Yes, it is going on bigtime, big big time.. Unfortunately I dont have any one.. I have realized that 'friends dont help'. Becoz firneds have relatives who need to get in first.. sad but true

I know many many colleagues who got in becoz of relative connections.. Thats how you match these days
hello frend...
i thinks same...

50% sun/broter/sister/wife
30% observship
40% einstin like brilant people

astalavista !
The problem is not only contacts but other way to select people in the match..having good scores is not longer the better way to evaluate people bcz many IMGs cann get more than 90s nowadays..and getting 90s doesn't mean they deserve the spots more than those with less scores...Now getting more than 90s in the steps(including step 3) is more common than ever...
Part of the problem comes from the IMGs themselves...by applying to tons of programs and different specialties...IS that fair?...programs are having hard time selecting applicants and using scores is not longer the best method to have the best candidates bcz they are still too much...The classical example is a small community progrtam with let's say 6 or 7 spots who received 1500 applicantions, at least 20% will have more than 90 in the scores in the first attempt..and many of them have passed step3 too...How would you select them then???...
Using coontacts is not a bad idea and will easy the work burden of PDs...and there is always the chance that that resident's husband or fellow's wife will have the same score(or better said...better medical knowledge) than those whio doesn't have any contacts...
I you believe your country offers better way of selecting doctors you still have the chance to stay there..and leave this "unfair" system
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »