Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethics Doubt - urapain2me
The problem here is that you don't have an actual situation, so this is getting wider and wider.

If both parents are there in your office with the child, and they have joint custody, and they are disagreeing on a certain treatment which you decided their child needs (let's say an antibiotic prescription), I would go ahead and explain to them the importance of that treatment one more time. If they still can't decide, you cannot force them. However, you let them know what the consequences to their decision will be.
They can step outside your office and talk among themselves and then let you know.
They can even call you the next day and let you know.
But there is no grounds for reporting here, unless this situation happens repeatedly, and you see that it is affecting the child's health or endangering the child's life.
In the end, you can only extend the treatment to their child, but you can't impost it, unless it is an emergency.
Does that make sense?
I dont think you got my doubt right!
Even though kkool's answer sounds satisfactory to me, my doubt basically was this-

Child is admitted, not an emergency
You give two treatment options to the parents, explain everything in detail
Treatment A- good with lesser S/E
Treatment B- equally effective but with more risks

Father says B
Mother says A
You again explain and they still differ.
Both want to get the treatment. None of them is saying No to the child being treated. But they are differing on the treatment options provided. My doubt does not focus on one treatment modality.
I am asking now what do you do? Whose choice do you entertain?
Which one do you follow?

Ans would be you go with the one which has lesser S/E because you have the consent of one parent and thats all you need to start treatment here.

Thanks for explaining still, much appreciated Big Grin
LOL...sorry about that long explanation, but I just tried to figure out the context of your question, maybe because I didn't get the point that you were asking about ...which choice do you go with?
I focused more on what if one parent refuses the treatment you offer......regardless.....

You are welcome for the long explanation, and Good luck with your reading Smile

We should look for some good solid ethics questions....and post them here....I"m going to try Smile
we think of our pt, in any situation pt has to suffer more then required ,is no good,and its good that atleast one of them agrees with you, the only thing we shud worry about is not to harm our pt, as he is the one if harmed can sue us.
@psych: No problem mate/mate-y? No idea! lol Smile
Sure, I will definitely post some good ethics questions if I come across, this is one topic i just love doing!

@ashiln: True! Patients health is of utmost importance and since one of the parent is with us, we can go with the better option.
Thanks for your time!
Good Luck.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »