Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smitha - forever07
SORY GESTATIONAL AGE
Yes, that's I found in off line uw, I am not sure it is updated or not, I have not started on line uw.

So, I can't check uw latest.

Do you all agree with UW or Kaplan? Kaplan said, uss first if you see abnl Afp to exclude dating error,

Need help, Missy,dr bumba, Sami !
I think Kaplan wrong here.

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/prenata...g/afp.html
What do MSAFP results mean?

It is important to remember that the AFP is a screening test and not a diagnostic test. This test only notes that a mother is at risk of carrying a baby with a potential disorder. There are approximately 25 to 50 abnormal test results for every 1,000 pregnancies tested.  Of these abnormal results, only 1 in 16 to 1 in 33 will actually have a baby that has been affected with a neural tube defect or other condition.  The benefit of screening is that 75% to 90% of babies with neural tube defects are discovered.

Abnormal test results warrant additional testing for making a diagnosis. A more conservative approach involves performing a second MSAFP or complete triple screen test followed by a high definition ultrasound. If the testing still maintains abnormal results, a more invasive procedure such as amniocentesis may be performed.

FOREVER I AM SURE UW IS RIGHT.........
i meant checking in uptodate website......and it says same as i checked now and cant post the link ...........

afp...........if its abnormal repeat afp. and later usg.

MSAFP can be falsely elevated in 30% cases. So repeat test is advisable in low suspicion cases. In cases with high likelihood to have neural tube defects such as those mothers with advanced age or those with significantly elevated AFP or anxious women ; should do ultrasound ASAP.

In your Q, AFP is only slightly elevated and mother is only 31, so just repeat test and if still positive. ultrasound

If AFP is > 7 or if mother is too old example > 40 years - direct ultrasound
THANKS MISSHYD
Thanks
Forever!! U said if ultrasound abnormal , no
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »