Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
qr12.6 - sami2004
Overview of Lumbar Spinal Stenosis Symptoms
Overall, lumbar spinal stenosis symptoms are often characterized as:
Developing slowly over time
Coming and going, as opposed to continuous pain
Occurring during certain activities (such as walking) and/or positions (such as standing upright)
Being relieved by rest (sitting or lying down) and/or any flexed forward position.
Look like Spine stenosis.

But why...

There is diffuse mild tenderness in the right lateral thigh and buttock. Abduction of the hips against resistance does not increase her pain....

No arthritis...
Why lateral side is tender...NOT in Spine stenosis.
but what about gait disturbances, our patient here as gait disturbances, spinal stenosis refered pain is b/l or unilateral
but there has been none in the last 6 months.

Medicine-king let wait for answer. I am not sure about the answer one thing spinal stenosis is something I don't want to miss in the exam is so confusing I am sure it is not
On physical examination, the patient has mild limitation of rotation in both hips but no pain on motion...

SS is position dependent.

Limitation of hip, ??

I think double pathology.
Sami, please?
answer is d

Referred pain from the lower lumbar zygopophyseal (facet) joints or intervertebral discs is often reported by the patient as hip pain, with localization to the buttock and lateral thigh. The pain is characteristically aggravated by maneuvers that increase the force brought to bear on these joints, particularly spine extension as well as lateral bending or rotation toward the painful side. Pain over the spine may or may not be present, but even in its absence, there may be para-vertebral muscle spasm contributing to reduced spine motion. Frequently referred pain may have a different localization from radicular pain at the same level. Lower lumbar nerve root impingement usually causes pain below the knee.

Pain resulting from hip joint pathology is usually felt in the groin and anterior thigh. Hip motion, particularly rotation, is usually painful. Sacroiliac arthritis usually results in constant pain and is particularly severe in the morning and improves with motion. Trochanteric bursitis causes lateral hip and thigh pain, with tenderness over the trochanter. A provocative test designed to increase the pain involves abduction of the hips against resistance; this results in contraction of muscles that attach to the trochanter. The maneuver did not increase pain in this patient. Spinal stenosis causes compression of lumbosacral nerve roots, usually producing bilateral lower leg pain.
Trochanteric bursitis causes lateral hip and thigh pain, with tenderness over the trochanter. A provocative test designed to increase the pain involves abduction of the hips against resistance; this results in contraction of muscles that attach to the trochanter. The maneuver did not increase pain in this patient.

OA...pain with extension, paraverte ral ms spasm.

Thank you.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »