@ cardio :
F
rom my understanding;
HYPOXIA
a) Diffusion Impairment
b)Shunt
c)Hypoventilation
d)V/Q

Now A-a gradient is high (greater than 10) in diffusion impairment and shunt and A-a is low in hypovntilation (less than 10)
Now after you give 100% O2 if PaO2 increases its diffusion impairment if not then its shunt (atelectasis)
So, increase in PaO2 after 100% O2 is Diffusion Impairment?????? I am deliberately using ???? so that i don't think i can stretch more of my neurons to answer the question farther than this and will be waiting for your excellent explanation. Thank you for the question and please do explain as well.
Hypoxemia DEC PaO2 ( FA pg 600)

Normal A-a gradient: High altitude ,Hypoventilation.
INC A-a gradient: V/Q mismatch, Diffusion limitation, Right to L shunt

Pat/recovering PaO2 is “ONLY” 95 on 100% O2 : that mean R-> L shunting that is area of lung that we know perfused but NOT Ventilated/V/Q = “0”

Postop complication: Pulmonary edema, atelectases or pneumonia ALL can cause intrapulmonary R -> L shunts.

@baaraan administration 100% O2 correct the HYPOXIMIA cause by diffusion impermanent Alveolar hypOventilation or ventilation perfusion inadqulatity BUT NOT due R-> L shunting ( venous admixture )

Ans *C* is correct.
Thanx cardio
so if we gave oxygen in PE it would be corrected becoz its blood flow obstruction
But becoz this is diffusion impariment we chose C becoz its airflow obstruction
Cardio, to clear it on. We can name intrapulmonary A-V shunts as R-L shunts, RL does not refer to cardiac problem only. Is this statement correct? That actually confuesed me a lot..
Thank you!
Good Q blanc_manager. I had the same confusion while choosing between C and D answer choices. I thought R-L shunt was cardiac issue.
Thank you so much cardio and ALL....
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »