Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
im 30 yrs old ... is it too late for me? - lina22
but graduating a med school and working hard it's synergy. I didn't earn money while I was doing it, but reading for 20 minutes to a patient who doesn't have any visitors and he is in a bad condition, I made him better for those 20 minutes, I made his day. I wasn't selfish at that moment, and I had those 30 minutes to give him.
I was like you 6 years ago, and sometimes I see myself in your posts, but 6 years ago I met a person X, who later had a spinal cord injury with complete transaction of L4, doctors like you, self-confident and smart were telling to him every day to give up, just to give up on walking, it's never going to happen. And it's true.... at that moment it didn't look possible.
Guess what, last year he rode his bike SOLO across the USA, with a sleeping bag and a tent, 8.000 miles, 3 months. That's why I wrote you can't let people to tell you---- you can't do it. His life was a living hell for the first couple years, but now, every day he goes for the 5-miles hikes and he is landscape photographer, before he was a professional athlete. Maybe the story is a little bit irrelevant in your case, But it changed my life to know that person and seeing his progress.
I think you should go for orthopedics, if you want it badly. That's the whole point of this conversation. But you and me have different points and views in this professions.
By talking about the volunteer position I talked about options people have, you don't want to waste your time without getting paid for it, I did. Do I feel like I wasted my time, NO.
What makes some people think they cant achieve something that they have not even attempt to achieve?
You want to be an ortho surgeon, go for it. Why think you cant achieve it.You have come this far, so go for it. At least try.
an am IMG .. 35 .. and i want ophthal badly .. ..lovetest u ve been really inspiring ..
i know the truth is harsh ,, but its only when u work against the odds and suceed that u feel really good

BTW do u know wat score u need to get ophthal . couldnt see it in FA .. and do u need to do ur observership in the field that u want .. or is it like u do observership in medicine and u can apply only in medicine only ..can i do an observership in med and then apply in ophtal .. does it count ..
people says ophthal is impossible for IMGs .. but i still ve some little hope burning ..
thank u so much lovetest......ur speech is so inspiring...i m in the same boat...old img with no connection....anyway where do u live in USA??
No offense guys but all of you are blinded and even though you are older than me you are still acting childish. It's ok to never give up but you need to be realistic to know your limits just my 2 cents...
I wish to all of ya' GOOD LUCK
@owl, I would recommend to do some research about the residency in ophthalm, go to the sites to the different med schools which offer this residency, and they usually write their requirements for residency. So you can have a better picture. I barely know about this field. It's better if you'll do the observ in that field, if you have those opportunities. But if not, try to get any. I would suggest if you look at the hospitals around yourself and see if any teaching hospital doing some kind of research in ophthalm field. Write to any researcher an email, saying that you really like the work they are doing and you would really like to volunteer in the research area. If you get any publications in ophthalm field, your changes will jump up much higher. My friend did this with radiology, since it's extremely competitive, so she started to write to the researches, and she got it. Well, she got 3 interview from radiology department this year. There is a saying: Fortune rewards the brave ones. You wont' lose anything just for trying, but if you'll be persistent, they will see it.
Good luck, and I hope it helps.
@dr.abc. Thank you, initially my posts were toward Lina, but I think she got lost in this long tread. Anyway, once again, don't anyone to tell you what you can't do. Go and do it. I live in CA, San Francisco.

@Valentin, I'll see you at the finish line. Good luck to you.
@lovetest thanks .....i want to keep lil touch to u just for some positive inspiration....i was with some people those made me mad by their negative attitude...and thats hurt me a lot and i was kinda lost...thinking like i cant make this tough exam....but u r awesome...like an angel....

rifampintb...thats my email id..hit me an email if possible so that i can stay lil touch to u....i will not bother u ..promise.....
thanks everyone for advice... esp thanks to lovetest for inspiring me and others to not give up no matter what other says. i think i still have chance and i'll study hard as i can to achieve what i always wanted.
P.S. to valentin maybe its easy to say go back to your home country and try there.... but i cant leave my family here in usa .... maybe you should follow your own advice... bcz you already have some issues ( like financial and etc)...
2lovetest ..

u are really great . not flaterring .. really mean it ... thanks a lot for ur advice .. they look genuine and practical .. and its the best thing anyone has ever said to me ..

all i had was a dream .. u ve given me the early steps of how to climb towards my dreams .. hope u get all the things u want in life ..gl
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »