Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
psych, internal, fm - concern
i guess they are keep secret on forensic/sleep, pain management salaries. only personally knowledge.
Internist / hospitalist is still better because you will always have avenues open. Money is better
Prestige is more

Psyc: U are stuck
It is not that u r stuck.

But there are people in the world, who are inclined towards Psychiatry as a field passionately, so that they earn respectably, have a cool life, and also love talking to people.

I was talking to a Cardiologist recently, a Cardiologist practising here since 30 years, he said, that he does not know how 17-18 years of his life came and went. He said that he never enjoyed the money he earned.

Money is imp., but there is no match to a combination of a cool life with respectable money.

a general internist make less money than psychiatrist. hospitalist is a great job but you work mostly at night. some like it some do not because people wants to be home with their spouse. check out the work hrs and compared on that mdsalaries website.
interventional cardiologist have even tougher life than a general surgeons. salaries of gastro will goes down due to virtual colonoscopy procedure by radiologists. but gastroentro life style is much better than cardio but i do not want to do rectal examine and smell people "feces" all day.
every field has it down side i guess. for psych, they call head-shrinker, family medicine "jack of all trades but master of nothing" alhough family is very nice field in rural areas. surgery people only labor work. internal medicine, is "mental masturbation" but do nothing for the patient beside labs, cardiology is like a plumber etc...
shhhh Psychiatry is the best kept secret lets keep it the smme... These people do not know the exact amout psy make.... Lets keep it that way.. other wise they might join psy in 2nd year... like some who joined my program ...... looking for better "lifestyle"

i just want to say that my brother is an IM doc ( in NJ) and did NOT do fellowship.
He has been in practice for 7 years and this is the first year he totalled a seven digit salary.

IM docs (without fellowship) make a shitload of money
terminator999,
hhihih. you are right.

zulfi, i know an internist in ny who make alot of money too but his work hours are crazy. he worked in his clinics with is P.As during day and q3-4 call. but he makes ton of money.

what we are discussing is that psychiatrist work on average of 47hrs/wk while internist work 57hrs/wk and salary bases. not when you have your own clinics/ work as a consultant and pay by case. psychiatrist no on call so when he/she is home with his spouse he does not have to check his pager.
I think we all know now that

1) Psyc is a great field if it is done purely for the joy/love of it. However concern / rinnu, lets face it there are very few people like you who do it because it is what you want to do. Most people
do psyc / fm / paeds becasue it is easy to get into. This practise is widespread on the forum (of which i am a new member). I just keep reading "apply to psyc /fm /peds, they are not competitive"

2) concern /rinnu I applaud you for protecting your field so much. Its too bad the other psyc ppl
are only doing it for the wrong reasons

3) The pay: The more you work and the more procedures you do you get paid more

Psyc does not have procedures but still if you are good you can make alot

concern / rennu: I am sure you both will agree with my above statement

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »