Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tips for 2015 applicants - thebigo
My pleasure just want the best for all of us. Inshallah (god willing) this match season goes amazing!
Thanks thebigo.

I wasted money on MAR too and I got no interviews. I had a nick name by many attendings but I got to find a way to mention it in personal statement. Thanks for the tip. Didn't think something so small would catch their attention in the personal statement. Thought they would just skim it.
@drpepper the smallest things is what they look for that's what I realized during this process
Although I have a bunch of interviews, I haven't matched yet. So maybe read these tips after I (hopefully) match!

1) ERAS - every word on there matters. Your descrptions of your various activities matter. Make sure your english is perfect and describe things as eleqouently as you can. Have a native english speaker read over your application.
2) LORs are crucial. Everyone has great LORs.. what makes an LOR standout are real EXAMPLES, and a clear, personal relationsnhip between the writer and the candidate.
3) PS MATTERS. I can not emphasize how important your PS is. EVERYONE has a story - but not everyone has a story that is genuine. Not everyone has a story that really resonates with the program directors. Work on this extensively. Include little stories that highlight your qualities, make sure you have a central theme and make it interesting (be careful not to make it too outlandish though(
4) Scores matter the most. That is the sad reality of the situation. In simple terms - do the best you can in your steps so that the other points actually get the time of day.

If I think of anymore, I'll post 'em!
Thanks for the great tips @noropeds!!! God willing we will all get to where we want to go this match! And it's 100% true about step scores...they mean EVERYTHING
nice suggestions noropeds

thank you Smile

goodluck for match !!
Good luck everyone!
hw do sumone who has never dne such a thing write PS........it seems so tough
Read some examples online. Start very early. Take it to some faculty members and have them read it. Have friends read it..and also have ppl that you are not so close with, read it. Get different views about your PS, and make the changes that you think are best to make.
I think one of the other things is to make sure that you SHOW interest in the field that you are applying for.

If you are doing peds, do extra electives in peds, get strong LORs, do extra curricular activities associated with peds. Your application should be screaming peds peds peds.

When it comes to LORs, try to get the ones that faculty actually writes. Stay away form "Why dont you write it, I will sign it." I dont think those come off as genuine and PDs with years of experience can smell the difference.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »