Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plan B for Foreign Educated Physicians - wsant014
Hi, I would like to have more information about this program. My email is masleidyfornos. Thanks
Wilmer Santiesteban i dont now if you are still active, but if you are let me now,because i need the informatiogen package.
I am a foreign trained physician from the Caribbean. I can elaborate on what is posted. There are more and more foreign physicians that passed the boards and were left hopeless that chose the BSN or MSN track. There are more and more universities like rutgers that will allow a foreign trained physician to enroll in the accelerated track. The rutgers program is 16 months. There are many others. Once you have a BSN, you can start working as a nurse and pursue your master's in nursing and nurse practitioner certification. I know foreign trained physicians that became licensed NPs with 2.5 years of finishing the BSN. NPs are gaining acceptance to practice independently in more and more states over time, New York being a recent addition to this wave.

This being said, this is not the only back-up plan. You can also pursue your masters or PhD in clinical research (there are online programs, like Drexel). This will put you in a pharmaceutical company and you go on from there.

The 3rd side track that I have heard of and seen success in is enrolling in a PsychD (doctorate in psychology) program. I personally know one person that went this route. Once graduated, he got a position as a clinical psychologist (you are licensed for this with a PsychD) and went on to pursue psychiatry as he had an MD and Ecfmg.!

Rather than sitting around and letting time go by, it's better to remain engaged and keep pursuing beyond the traditional "observership" track that we know about. This is the USA and everyone has a plan for success. It's a matter of proper execution and being in pursuit.

The craziest story I can tell you is of a 44 y/o foreign md that I am still friends with. He was having a tough time with the boards. He started a degree at NYIT and received advice to go into electronic medical records/data sciences. He pursued a master's in clinical data managent and data mining. Right now, he works at patient fusion making over $150k

The message is that not throw your eggs in one basket. Pursue residency but keep adding to your skill set. You never know what opportunities and potential you have and how valuable your MD is till you crack out of the shell and explore multiple options. Obviously residency is paramount for all of us, BUT it's not the only route to success.
By the way, if you have some research experience, Mount Sinai Hospital in New York is looking for clinical research coordinators. Not a bad start, if you choose to do so.
Good morning every one.
I am a FEP myself, graduated in 2006, took my step 1 in the 2007 and completed my step 2s in 2008. I was with 3 other classmates who decided to go to the same pathway. Only one of us had the chance to get a match. The rest of us decided to do the program at FIU. Let me make it clear for all of you who believe that going for a Nurse Practitioner degree is somewhat compromising our prestige as a Physicians. I have been practicing for the last 2 years, and I am doing hard core medicine. The only issue is you earn less money than a physician for the same work. Please note that I mention the "SAME WORK". In the other hand we (NP and Physicians) can have the same quality of life. We both have to work long hours, earn decent amount of money , have good health insurance, can leave in a nice neighborhood, can afford a nice vacation at least once a year. we are making an average 150K a year. Remember that we bring our own experience to the field.
To all of you who have their USMLE certificates and are waiting, my advice to you is to start looking for something else. My friend who got matched and is now a physician started to go to nursing school in NJ, and while there got matched. We need to know that America value their products. We have trained in foreign and sometimes third world countries. We all came here with an big aspiration and dream; pass the steps, get a residency, and start making some money. But, most of us forget, is we don't owe nothing to the system. No school loan, no education. We would be the big winners. That why they favor the American student even if the have low scores in the tests.
To be honest, now that I have the time, the mean and the connections, I am not even interested with the matching anymore because of all the headaches that are happening in the medical field. Doctor is more like a prestigious title. One of my friend who is a Psych NP made 210K last year.
To some up, We are all doing what we like,make decent amount of money, are making differences in people's lives and still enjoy our privileges. Where I work, the physicians in the group refer to me as Doctor. They never belittle me, thy respect and value my contributions.
While I am telling you this there are still FEPs out there that are working low pay jobs, but refuse to hear about nursing, including some of my friends. And now they start seeing the big economical gap between me and them.
Someone mentioned that they would rather do PA than NP. It is up to you, do PA or NP is not making a big deal of a difference. We are all doing the same things: diagnosed, and treat patients. I would tell you though, that there is no states or federal provision that allow PA to practice independently, while in many states an NP can have there own practice,outside a physician's umbrella. That can translate that NP can potentially make more money than a PA and in some cases more than some physicians. CRNA's for example earn more money than most Primary care physicians.
I am inviting to look at many options, be open and educate yourselves to the different ideas and more importantly to let go to this ego of "DOCTOR". Because DOCTOR doesn't pay your bills.
Thanks so much blacko and others. I've been trying to match for the past 3 years, have red flags also. It's very tough because we need to pay bills and I am ready to start doing something else. I am interested in the FEP to BSN/MSN track. Please give me also some infos regarding the program.

It's good to have a MD but if you cannot be have this title in the U.S. but still want to practice, then PA or NO is a good option...Be humble and kind in everything you are doing and you will be the best provider you can be!

Thank you.
wow!
Thank you so much!
Thank you for sharing your experience and show the other options.
Everyone has different thoughts.
If you like it, then you can take that.
If you have different opinion, you just can tell and do what you like.
Anyway, thanks for all opinions.
Could you please send the info package to my e-mail is yinghello? Thanks.
I am very much interested BSN Program for FEP. Please let me know if anybody seriously interested. I know some of my friend completed this program and starts working. my email is surovisap and ph no 8179375178.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »