Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
img pathology applicants - pathdoc
I'm currently a path resident, and I'm just wondering what the situation is these days for foreign grads applying to path programs. From what I hear, the competitiveness is increasing year after year. Not surprisingly though. If people knew more about path, it would be one of the most competitive specialties of all. Anyway, good luck, and let me know if I can help with anything.
As you are into residency; you muat b eknowing future prospects in this field. How i sfuture for pathoologist? It is necessary to do some fellowship? Howz job market?

How do you find this from? (As you are on the other side). Thanks.
Hi Pathdoc
thanks for offering. (I think you were in last year's path thread)
we need your help. Let us know if you could share some info about the Path programs in the northeast. I have a call from Baystate/Tufts. Could you tell me about this program?
Also as a resident, could you tell us what PDs are looking for in a candidate?
Hi Pathdoc,

Thanks for your offer. I am also interested in Pathology. I have same Qs that usamle has asked. Though it is very competative, nobody exactly knows about future prospects after residency!
Anyway thanks again.
mlegirl
to amygdala: I've been to Baystate/Tusts, Springfield MA. The program is Ok, actually much better than Tufts Univ. in Boston. However, Springfield MA is a hellish place. The closest airport is around 50 miles away; I rented a car from Albany, NY.
On my interview day they called 4 applicants. The program is 50/50=AMGs/IMGs. 5 or 6 interviewees, all of them very friendly. No clinical/pathology questions at all, just common stuff like why pathology, why MA. I remember they very proud about the amount of bone tumors. Basically, that™s it. The Hilton which they pay for has a free shuttle to the hospital, but not back, at least it wasn™t available on my interview day.. Lunch with residents in a cafeteria, and nothing unusual.
GL
to amygdala: Baystate/Tusts is not the best program, but it's worthy to go. From my own experience that one was better than many others. Sorry, have no clue about GWU.
GL.
thanks bunny.
Amygadala, congratulations for ur interview invitation!

I applied Baystate and GWU pathology too, but I haven't heard from them. When did you apply? Can you share your credentials? I'm an old IMG, 83/92/CS, waiting for step 3 result.

Thanks!
To amigdala and usamle: unfortunately, I don't know much about the programs in the northeast. I got into path through the "inside tract", transfered from internal medicine, so I did not apply or interview anywhere else. In general, PD's are looking for the usual stuff: strong overall CV and usmle scores are very important to get interviews. Once interviewing, your letters of recommendations and how the interview itself goes are key factors. PD's are looking for people who will function well within their service. They have to think you're smart enough, hard working enough, and will be able to communicate and get along with everyone. Path doesn't have much in the way of patient contact, but pathologists spend a lot of time with the other members of the service. Make sure you show you're a tolerant, easy going, team player type of person (which is hopefully true), and you should be fine.
As far as applications, as you may know, path is getting more competitive every year. It's pretty competitive already, and I'm afraid it will only get worse. I've had the chance of going other specialties, but I think nothing beats path. It's the best kept secret in medicine if you will. Rumors of a bad job market till a few yrs ago made everybody shy away from the specialty. That's no longer true, and I really don't know if it ever was. Several surveys show that the avg resident/fellow gets 2-3 job offers upon completion of training. Not as good as some other specialties, but you WILL have a job. And here's the difference: very good income, avg 42 hrs/wk, no calls for the most part, doing something extremely interesting and low stress. Pathology is the best decision I ever made. I have a very relaxed life as a resident and I enjoy almost everything I do. Plenty of time to do research, exercise, chill out with my friends, free weekends etc. Today, I got in at 9:00, and was done at 4:00. I signed out GI biopsies today - lots of very interesting stuff, from chronic H pylori associated gastritis to Barrett's with dysplasia and celiac disease. Now I'll study till 6:30 and go to the gym work out. The rest of the night I'll just chill out, or have a beer. Can't beat that. Here's the bad news, the secret is out, and applications are going up exponentially.
As far as fellowships, yes, most residents will do at least one fellowship (usually one year), including areas sugh as cytopath, hemepath, GI path, dermpath, if you want to go into private practice, and many other more specialized areas such as soft tissue/bone pathology, thoracic path, renal etc if you want to stay in academics.
hope this helps,
pathdoc-
that is a great discription. thanks. this will be of great help to us.
You make residency sound like a breeze, although I expect that is going to vary from program to program. It is great to hear back from you guys- it is better to get info from actual residents, rather than websites and stuff.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »