Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fail 3rd time Step 1 - Please help. -
Tina Maria Limbres

Hello,

I fail for the 3rd time step 1...I'm really said and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I was very poor in biochemistry and Physiology. What should I do? Can I still get residency? or should i giveup medicine? Sad

Thank you
friend

Do not give up. You will still get a residency post. Send me an email at kdj2001_uk.uk and I can tell you more details. Keep hope alive.
UP

hi ! you are not sailing in the boat alone but you have a bunch of people with you. always keep trying and god is there to help- us out.
i know they are getting really nasty at biochem but try for the pre test and some appelton and lange questions which will help. i am also preparing for the same to try and succede the exam.
mbp - roadrocket007

tina: don't you get dissapointed yet, i know what you are going through, most of us are all doctors already and it is tough to be studying again all that we already studied in the past and most of which doesn't really help you in your clinical practice. My advice is try to think as a medical student not as a doctor, for now... remember it's one step at a time and step 1 is for students. wish you luck!
irfan - igudaro

hey, dont worry, it happens.i think by now you must have realized that there is some fault in your studying style, i know in this situation no one wants to hear things like these that you are wrong, you have not done enough for the exams and so so......., so i m sorry if you felt something bad, I remember my friend who also failed 3 times in step 1,when he came to me, i asked him about his style of studying, he was using a minimum of 2 - 3 books for each subject, so by the end of the day, he was having a very time to remember what he had studied, i hope that you are not doing the same thing.
My advise to you is that :
1) EVALUATE YOUR READING SPEED----> how many pages you can read in 1 hour.
2) SET TARGET FOR A DAY-----> after evaluating your speed, you will know that how many pages you can read in 1 hour, so when ever you start studying, set your watch at 12:00 and decide about the numbers of hours/day of studying depending on your stamina and numbers of pages/day/hour. An average student can study for 6-8 hours/day.
3) STOP YOUR WATCH-----> When ever you leave your study table , stop your watch,and turn it on when you come back on your seat, because by this you will come to know about your""ACTUAL STUDY HOURS/DAY"by the end of your day.
4) DONT SET YOUR TARGET TOO BIG-------->Normally 80% of students are unable to reach their tatget for a day because it was too big for them, and when you dont acheive your target, you will get tense and besides of getting tense , your work for the next day will automatically increase, and then this will create a vicious circle and ultimately you will lose your regularity.
5) CREATE A RHYTHUM-----> You must have rhythum in your studies, that is, you should begin your day at a fix time EVERY DAY and finish your study at the same for the most of the days. Starting your day on a regular time is very important, because it will get your speed increase, its always better to start at 8:30 in the morning rather than at 10:00 a.m or later, because you are most effective early in the morning and after 2:00 p.m, you usually lose your speed and tempo, its normally because by that time we have had our lunch.
6) GET REGULAR SLEEP-----> Lack of regular sleep decreases your memory.If you will have a regular sleep, your deep sleep time will incresae and that very good for memory as we all know that.
7) DONT GO FOR TOO MANY BOOKS------> USMLE STEP 1 is an exam of concepts not an exam of extra knowledge. Clear your concepts from any book that suits your style and then stick to that book.
8) DO AS MUCH AS MCQs POSSIBLE-------> No one goes on to take the exam with out studying very hard for it. Most of the students do remember what they have studied for the past 5 or 6 months but when it comes to the application of that knowledge, most of students really have no idea how to do it. MCQs help in this part of the exam, they help you in furthur clearing your concepts and application of that concept in a situation.
9) REVISION IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING------> I tell how i revise my stuff everyday. I only do 2 subjects at a given time, it doesnt matter which 2 subjects i choose, what matter is the revision of my target for a given day. As soon as i finish my target of 1 subject in a given time, i restart that target, and i try to memorize it atleats 6 times before starting my next subject and i do same to the next subject. I know its very hard to do a thing like that, but beleive me by doing this you will add 5-10 percentile in your score. And one more thing, when ever I start the 6 times revised subject after some days, i used remeber it >50%(isn't that great),and by remembering the subject > 50%, my #2 revision of all subjects will automatically take lesser time and even lesser time in my 3rd revision of all subjects. This #9 advise of mine to you is magical and largest one as the #9 is in mathematics.

So i hope that you have gained something from me because this will make feel great and if you think that y
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »