Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Immuno-not sure if NBME - malvika
A 5-year-old boy with a history of reccurrent ear infections receives his preschool booster immunization against diphtheria-tetanus-pertussis. He is participating in a community-sponsored study to determine the humoral immune response to tetnus toxoid (tt). His response is well below normal for age- and sex-matched children. Peripheral B lymphocyte count and T lymphocyte count and function are within the reference range. The antibody he makes is possitive in both the passive hemagglutination and complement-mediated lysis of tt-coated erythrocytes. His antibodies do not opsonize tt-coated latex particles for phagocytosis and do not directly precipitate tt efficiently. This child most likely has a defect in which of the following processes?

A) Affinity maturation of immunoglobulins

B) Immunoglobulin isotype switching

C) Recommbination of heavy chain variable region genes

D) Recombination of light chain variable region genes

E) Somatic mutation of immunoglobulin genes
b...?
b..
hello malvika...how are u???seeing u after a long timee....Smile)how is it going?????
its b
Right everyone, its B.The disease illustrated is Hyper IgM Syndrom: a genetic defect caused by a mutation in the gene for CD40 ligand on T4-lymphocytes (-->the CD 40 is on B-Lymphocytes)

The CD40 ligand is needed to help the B-Cells to switch the Immunglobulin Isotype from IgM to IgG,IgA or IgE.

The result are recurrent otitis media, sinusitis, pneumonias, and diarrhea.

Hey zarah,..how r you??My studies r just about okay..couldn't come to the computer as i have a very severe backache..so have to limit my time on the forum{and i hate that!!!}Your prep is going great..had a chance to view questions posted by mansour and iced and you and cd45 are really rocking!!Keep it up! Hey cd45..u r all set...when is your big day??
malvika,take care of urself.....i wish u all the happiness and success because u really deserve it...ur a lovely person......just a few more steps and u'll hav reached ur destination....Smile)))
Thank you,dear sweet zarah..wish you all the best too in every sphere of life!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »