Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thankyou god - ccmed
.....and thanks to everyone in this forum.at last i have cleared this exam.It feels great .Took the exam on sep27th got the results yesterday .pretty quick for my calculation.
Happy Diwali to all. I'll always remember this diwali.
Got 83 in the actual exam
420 in nbme 10days before the exam
This is my 2nd attempt [got 74 in the first]
i prepared from UW quetions and kaplan q bank and Q book.
the difference from my first time preparation was concentrated more on mcqs and went through all the mcqs atleast twice
also read crush and swanson's family practice.Initially thought wont read any notes since had read them for the first attempt and felt would remember them.but later started getting tensed
and when there was 10 days left just scanned thru kaplan step 3 notes quickly. towards the end i tried to concetrate more on my weak areas which i gathered from my failed score report and nbme data [which were similar.....like for example adolescent age group and continued care etc]
for CCS read UW world twice and also tried to work out usmlesteps 123 ,although couldnot complete all cases.but this really helped my confidence in CCS and also quickness in which i was able to type in the next step and the sequence in which case shud proceed .i also worked the usmle cd for ccs and just tried out all the imp investigations by typing them in the same cd
i didnot keep track of my score in UW world qs and kaplans qs cause i could recall quite a lot from my previous preparation and felt that wouldnot correlate with the exam score
1st day initial blocks were ok,then towards the end the emergency blocks had lengthy qs with unecessary info and was tiring and also confusing .somehow was able to complete them all
the 2nd day was also similar .almost all ccs cases improved although none of them finished ahead of time and that was a bit scary since i beleived that if u finish them before the alotted time ,u have done well.but i guess not.since i passedSmile
about the mcqs ,i felt they were very similar to both UW and kaplan material,infact a few questions i got were directly from these material word to word ,and few again the questions were the same but the choices were altered .and then there were few questions which were repeated not only in different blocks but in the same block like for example post menopausal bleeding-what is the next step-endometrial biopsy[by the way this topic was tested so many times ,i couldnt beleive it,felt as if i read the same question again and again in all blocks ] and also a picture of malignant melanoma asking the most imp prognostic factor -depth or width [just the pictures were from diff subjects]topics mostly questioned were geriatrics ,adolescents ,gyn ,and neonatology,contineud care
CCS cases were ok, direct,although wouldnt like to mention them here.but all of them were from UW cases.
anyway,sorry for lengthy explanation ,but couldnt make it short
good luck to everybody preparing for this exam.IF u have prepared from basic materials [UW and kaplan]it should be good.and you can clear and score well
as for me i am very excited ,since i am done with the usmle exams,esp during this interview season
thanks and gl
thank you for sharing your experience here, congratulations and all the best.
regarding continued care, can you give more info about that? thank u for your input
Congrats!
I agree with you.... I don't think it matters if you finish CCS quickly or not to do well. I've played around with the software enough time to figure this out. Besides, if you do really bad...the case will end fast also.

'ccmed' did you do NBME the first time also? If so, how much did you get then?
G'luk for the rest!
ccmed,

Congratulations!!
Having taken steps 1 and 2, I can understand the joy and relief you must feel after completing. Also, congratulations because you have finished your step 3 and there are no more USMLE's left for you to take.

For all the information you have provide, it is very detailed and very informative. I thank you for that, and wish you the best in pursuit of your medical career.
hi alan,
i had quit a few questions on continued care where a patient is already admitted for some reason has multiple problems to start with like htn ,dm,arthritis etc and during his hospital stay presents with new problem or the patients has been diagnosed with some disease and u have to manage him further [inpatient treatment] or have to treat just one particular part of illness

to auerrod ,
i dint do nbme the first time around .felt like i dint need it,since they dont give the answers.
this time wanted to be familiar with as many mcqs i could get hold of, so did it.and worked out in self paced mode,although i would recommend standard paced since i had extra time, i changed the answers for a lot of questions and felt that decreased my score in nbme.but u can always do self paced if you want to discuss the answers with others

also this time my preparation time was 2 months and for previous attempt 3mths
and i did ask for re-evaluation for the failed attempt.which came back same,saying the previous correction was accurate .i did hope for some miracle to happen ,and change my fail to passWink.anyway atleast i passed this time.
thanks for the comments
thanks vitriol ,
u are great
by the way, howz your pursuit of significant other going on ...Smile
no offense
goodluck with interviews
I can tell you know your stuff well.
I realized that inpt magt are harder because lots pt have underlying condition, Endo CAD, COPD, elderly..I think endo is a big hit, such as DM, almost every single DM pt admit to hospital has more or less complications arise. I need to look into these issues more.
again, I very appreciate your input, and you deserve the best.
ccmed , congratulations and happy diwali.

Now you reminded me of that Question too which is about some 45 years old women with h/o of some irregular bleeding from last six months, the choices were both biopsy and ultra sound.
UW explains that first do ultra sound for endometrial thickness, than do biopsy. I still don't know why they put both choices, can you or some one else explain. thanks.
congrats ccmed,

Can you tell me scores in kaplan Q bank? I am getting 65% after 30% of q bank.

Thanks in advance.
congratulations! are you a resident currently?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »