Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lets put all exam exam experiences together - usmlenew1
mah - 11/07/06
Hi,
Ok where to start wid....first of all be confident in ur self...........and plzzz dont freak out ........I got a difficult version of exam....most of the questions i dont kno wht they were tryin to ask........most of them were molbio.....anyways...it has to be like tht...........plzzz plzzzz do pray fer me.....and dont freak out i m repeatin if i get difficult exam does not mean u will get he same version....so plzzplzzz dont freakout the ones who ve got thr exam near....u ppl will do gr8..........Just hav a good sleep...i wasnt able to sleep as i went to bed at 10 and didnt sleep....Sad..i dont kno how can ppl sleep a night before exam...

fer the ones who r studyin plzzz guysss...make concepts.......there r concepts they ask nothing else...........i did FA several time i started wid my first readin.....it is helpful fer revision .....but i tell u FA is not enough.....plzzz take my advice...no ratafication........ its just concepts....have to use ur brain........although wasnt able to complete UW....but found very same questions on exam...............but Molbio was killer............it was frm no where...not even kaplan...Sad...

Even share of other subjects...i had strong immuno thrfore no prob wid it although they asked some tough questions frm it......do IMMUNO ...good.......they can ask anything......

2 questions were repeated frm practice exam......

i got several MRIs and CT scans...no Xrays.........mostly lower limb and knee.........

Patho was ok if u hav done Goljan.........do it wid slides.....he is gr8 makes ur concepts......patho long questions mostly......i was able to complete my practice exams in 40 mins at home but thr i wasnt able to check my marked questions...

I had weak pharma thrfore made silly mistakes thr...........got 2 drugs never heard of them.....Sad..........really...
thr mode of action.....drug interations were thr but i wasnt able to figure out the answer.....

whole lot of anatomy i mean it...lower limb abdomen and Upperlimb.........No histo......1 embryo........a histosalpingograhy.........angiogram brain....angiogram neck.....2 Mri knee .....4 Ct abdomes........

ohh yea 3 HOx questions....i wasnt able to revise them a day before got all mixed up...plzzz do only the important ones other wise i tell u it get mixed up... i did it and wasnt able to figire out wht was thr....they will tell u strange develpment of some bodypart and will ask wht is wrong wid it.......

Very few biostat.....physio concepts........only..........

And yea..doc pt relationship........wasnt able to figure out answers to them tooo..they were quite tough not like the ones i hav ever seen...one was like thr is a state where u hav to report domestic abuse...and thr u get a spouse abuse case wht u do....and other very very strange ones.....:S..i m serious they were strange....i hav done doc pt relationship questions frm everywhr i can get them .....but the exam ones were all wierd...believe me...

Micro just bacteriology 4-5 questions.......mostly how to treat them.....

and yea no HIV......or Alcohol related question....

I am not sayin tht i didnt get easy questions i did but i ws so much out of my mind i dont kno wht i did........Sad.....plzzzz plzzzz do pray fer me.....

I am thr to answer queries..........

my advice......

Dont go to exam until u hav done....

-Goljan .......audios + slides.....
-UW...i am tellin u same questions.....except mol bio it ws bit tougher..hope they were experimental......
-Kaplan notes atleast twice..........cover to cover.....
-Qbank is just good fer memorization ......not fer concepts....
-Q-book is good....
...if u can plzzzz do histo HY......gr8 book. i must say.....

I will write more if i remember anything else.......i thought i will do ok i was scorin 76% cumulative on UW......but my exam was more tougher......Sad........Dont kno wht will happen next.....

and yea 3-5 questions were repeated frm NBME........do the all 4 forms..........i assure u will get questions frm thr..... i did only form 3 and 4.....

Good Luck to u allll......Questions are welcomed......and plzzz plzzz pray fer me...

Thnxxxxx to all of u ......And specially Sao......u dont kno how much u hav been helpful..........Smile........and other.....Zarah,Drashna,and all others out thr....thnxxxxx....
mehak80 - 10/30/06

hi
cant believe i am over with my step1 exam. i had my exam today. i reached the centre at 7.30am and i started at 7.45am. regarding the people and the environment there, everything was very good. my exam had a lot of pathology, neuroanatomy and physiology. and if i say it topic wise i think 50% of the paper was diabetes, MI, and motor vehicle injuries and cts and mri.
anatomy as i told was mainly neuroanat. lot of CT and MRI and angiograms. some of them were easy, and some tough. i think kaplan and high yield neuroanat are sufficient for these.
physio ... many graphs. renal and endocrine was tested most.
there were qs from ANS also
biochem...my weak area was thankfully easy. mostly rate limiting enzymes , insulin- glucagon world, enzyme defeciencies.
molecular biology ws the toughest part for me. there were qs i had no clue. i cant even remember the qs properly now. some were ok too like anticipation, hardy weinberg calculation, and simple punnet square calculations.
pathology....know diabetes and MI well.lot of pictures and slides. hemat was easy. so was respi.
micro... was not tested much. most of it was bacteriology and mycology.
pharma.... easy.mostly MOA and resistance. antiviral and chemotherapy drugr tested heavily.
behaviour science... mostly doctor patient relationship. and mostly weird. i wasnt sure of most of them. there were few qs on personality disorders and defense machanisms also.
stats.... most of it was simple calculations but i didnot get few of them. mostly sensitivity, specificity, PPV, NPV. confidence intervals, type of study.
immunology...mostly interleukins. not tested much though.
overall i think 40%the exam is path, 20- 25% physio, 10% anat and rest the others.
ok guys it is of some help. please feel free to ask anything. i will glad if i can be of any help to anybody.
its a great forum. people are very helping. some of you are so extremely good that i think you are reday to break all usmle records. wishing everybody all the best for the exam and always. may God bless everyone.
mehak
mehak80 - 10/30/06

hi
cant believe i am over with my step1 exam. i had my exam today. i reached the centre at 7.30am and i started at 7.45am. regarding the people and the environment there, everything was very good. my exam had a lot of pathology, neuroanatomy and physiology. and if i say it topic wise i think 50% of the paper was diabetes, MI, and motor vehicle injuries and cts and mri.
anatomy as i told was mainly neuroanat. lot of CT and MRI and angiograms. some of them were easy, and some tough. i think kaplan and high yield neuroanat are sufficient for these.
physio ... many graphs. renal and endocrine was tested most.
there were qs from ANS also
biochem...my weak area was thankfully easy. mostly rate limiting enzymes , insulin- glucagon world, enzyme defeciencies.
molecular biology ws the toughest part for me. there were qs i had no clue. i cant even remember the qs properly now. some were ok too like anticipation, hardy weinberg calculation, and simple punnet square calculations.
pathology....know diabetes and MI well.lot of pictures and slides. hemat was easy. so was respi.
micro... was not tested much. most of it was bacteriology and mycology.
pharma.... easy.mostly MOA and resistance. antiviral and chemotherapy drugr tested heavily.
behaviour science... mostly doctor patient relationship. and mostly weird. i wasnt sure of most of them. there were few qs on personality disorders and defense machanisms also.
stats.... most of it was simple calculations but i didnot get few of them. mostly sensitivity, specificity, PPV, NPV. confidence intervals, type of study.
immunology...mostly interleukins. not tested much though.
overall i think 40%the exam is path, 20- 25% physio, 10% anat and rest the others.
ok guys it is of some help. please feel free to ask anything. i will glad if i can be of any help to anybody.
its a great forum. people are very helping. some of you are so extremely good that i think you are reday to break all usmle records. wishing everybody all the best for the exam and always. may God bless everyone.
mehak

Hi Usmlenew1

Thank you so much for the wonderful idea it definetely helps all those of us going
throuhg this very strenous jouney.

Could you please advice as to what kind of study schedule you followed, like how we need to divide are time efficently.

I must say it is truly comforting to see such wonderful and genorous friends helping each other, this gives us so uch hope and corage especially when we are troubled ,depressed and worried, I really apppriciate your genorous contribution to the forum and will hope and pray that you get the mark that you so desire.

GL and god bless!!!!

Hi Usmlenew1

Thank you so much for the wonderful idea it definetely helps all those of us going
throuhg this very strenous jouney.

Could you please advice as to what kind of study schedule you followed, like how we need to divide are time efficently.

I must say it is truly comforting to see such wonderful and genorous friends helping each other, this gives us so uch hope and corage especially when we are troubled ,depressed and worried, I really apppriciate your genorous contribution to the forum and will hope and pray that you get the mark that you so desire.

GL and god bless!!!!

Hi Yelito61,

Thank you so much for posting the link to all those questions.Are they questions compiled from this years questions or previous years?
It's so wonderful to have such genorous friends like you on the forum.
Wish you all the very best in all your endevours.
GL and God Bless!!!!

Hi Yelito61,

Thank you so much for posting the link to all those questions.Are they questions compiled from this years questions or previous years?
It's so wonderful to have such genorous friends like you on the forum.
Wish you all the very best in all your endevours.
GL and God Bless!!!!
Hi Courage, thanks a lot for your nice words. Those Qs are compiled from 2005-2006 exam experience. I hope this can help.
Hi Courage, thanks a lot for your nice words. Those Qs are compiled from 2005-2006 exam experience. I hope this can help.
I WAS ASKED LOTS OF BEHAVIOUR QS

1.THERE WAS A 75 YR OLD WOMAN WHO ARRANGED A SURPRISE BRTHDAY PARTY FR HER
HUSBAND,AS THE SURPRISED OPENED THE HUSBAND DIED DUE TO SUDDEN EVENTS,WIFE
BLAMING HERSELF WAT WULD U DO?WILL U SAY IT HAPPENS N U SHULD BE AWARE OF
OR I KNOW HOW GRIEVED ONE CAN BE AT SUCH A LOSS,ITS NT UR FAULT WAT U DID
WAS BEST FR UR HUSBAND?

A 15 YR OLD BOY NOT TAKING INHALER IN HIS SCHOOL TIMNGS FR ASTHAMA WAT WULD
U DO?
ASK MOTHER FR COUNSELING,SHIFT HIM TO ORAL.WILL ASK HIM TO GO TO SCHOOL
NURSE AT THE TIME OF DOSAGE N SHE WIL GVE HER THE INHALER ,SHIFT TO ORAL OR
MAKE HIM JOIN A TEENAGE SUPPORT GRP FR ASTHMA

A WOMAN KICKS HER HUSBNAD WHILE SLEEPING,HUSBAND WORRIED WAT IS IT
INTERNAL CONFLICTS OF WIFE AGAINST HUSBAND OR RESTLESS LEG SYNDROME

A PPHYSIAN AT A PARTY TAKES 18 BEERS IN 30 MINUTES ,HE GETS A PAGER MESSAGE
FR CALL IN HOSPITAL,U ASK HIM TO REPLACE HIS CALL,HE REFUSES N SAYS THAT I M
USED TO DRINK 6 -8 BEERS ,IT WNT MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE TO ME. WAT WILL U DO AS
HIS COLLEAGUE---RUN AFTER HIM,CALL THE HOSPITAL AUTHORITY OR REPORT HOSPITAL
ETHICS COMMITTEE

U ARE A SURGEON AND WAITNG FR ANESTHEZIA TO TAKE ITS EFFECT,U R GOING TO
PERFORM A CHOLECSTECTOMY OF AN OBESE PERSON,U HEAR THE ANESTHESIOLOGIST
LAUGHNG AROUND NO DOUBT HE GT CHOLELITHIASIS HES SUCH A FAT GUY
WAT WILL U DO
ASK THE ANESTHESIOLOGIST TO LEAVE,OR WILL LEAVE THE OT N ASK SME1 ELSE TO
PROCEED,WILL SCOLD ANESTHESIOLOGIST OR WILL CARRY ON WTH THE OPERATION N
THEN REPORT THE MATTER TO ETHICS COMMITTEE

A 70 YR OLD MAN COMES TO U 3 MNTHS AFTER THE DEATH OF HIS WIFE,HE E S NOW
DRINKING 6 DIFFERENT TYPES OF ALCHOLOIC DRINKS,WAT WILL U DO
EITHER SAY ITS NORMAL,OR U LL THNK THAT THE PERSON IS GOING TO ALCHOLIC
ABUSE SO WILL ASK HIM TO JOIN ALCHOLIN ANONYMOUS GRP.OR WILL ASK FR LFTS,

A MAN WHO THINKS LIKE A WOMAN,N FEELS AS IF HES TRAPPED IN MANS BODY
HAS SEXUAL PREFERENCES FR WOMAN,WAT IS IT
TRANSVERTISM OR GENDER IDENTITY DISORDER

GT CT FOR EPIDURAL HEMRRHAGE WTH TYPICAL TALK N DIE PRESENTATION

GT BRAIN SECTION HAD TO IDENTIFY SUBSATNTIA NIGRA

GT MIDBRAIN SPECIMEN WTH PARKINSONS RESTING TREMOR GVEN HAD TO IDENTIFY
SUBSTANTIA NIGRA AGAIN

GT A BRAIN SPECIMEB ,HAD TO IDENTIFY PREMOTOR AREA

HAD TO IDENTIFY MEDIAL LONGITUDINAL FASICULUS WTH SYMPTOMS GVEN OF ITS
LESION

WAS A MRI OF THIGH HAD TO IDENTIFY AN ANTEROLATERAL MUSCLE WTH LIPOMA,WAT
WAS THAT
RECTIS FEMORIS,SARTORIUS,VASTES LATERALIS

MRI OF HIP JOINT WTH OSTEOATHRITIS I GUESS BUT WAS VERY POORLY PRESENTED

PATIENT WTH MASS IN LUNGS WAT HORMONE CAN BE ELEVATED

PATIENT WTH NEPHROTIC SYNDROME WAT WILL BE ANGITENSIN,RENIN N ALDOSTERONE
LEVELS?

PATIENT WTH ONE KIDNEY ATROPHIED DUE TO STENOSIS OF ATRERY WAT WILL BE
ALDOSTERONE ,RENIN N ANGIOTENSIN LEVELS IN THE RENAL VEIN OF OPPOSITE
KIDNEY?

PATIENT WTH ACUTE PANCREATITIS ,DEVELOPED RESPIRATORY ABNORMALITY(ARDS I
GUESS)WAT WILL BE FEV1 N FVC CHNAGES?

PATIENT WTH LEFT PUEMONECTOMY WAT WULD BE FEV1,FVC CHANGES

PATIENT WTH DIC WAT WILL BE
INCREASE THROMBOSIS?
INCRESE FIBRINOGEN?
INCREASE PLASMIN?

SHOWED 5 DOFFERENT CXR,HAD TO IDENTIFY 1 OF A PATIENT WTH ALPHA 1
ANTITRYPSIN DEF,ONE WAS CLEARLY SHWN WTH TUBULAR HEART N INCREASE
INTERCOSTAL SPACES SO I PIKED THAT

SHOWED 5 HISTOLOGICAL SPECIMENS OF TESTIS HAD TO IDENTIFY LUTEIN CELLS?

SHOWED A DRAWING OF OROPHARNX,UVULA WAS DEVIATED WCH NERVE LESION?

HAD TO CALCULATE NEGATIVE PREDICTIVE VALUE

HAD TO CALCULATE A GVEN THNG FROM GAUSSIAN DISTRIBUTION CURVE WAS EASY

GENETICS GT ONE HARD WEINBERG QS NTHNG ELSE

IF I REMMBER CORRECTLY GT ONE SPINA BIFIDA QS,WCH WAS MORE ASSOCITED WTH
IT,CRANIOSYNOSTOSIS,ARNOLD CHIRI1 OR 2,DANDY WALKER?

A DRUD THAT CONSTRICTS FFERENT ARTERIOLES ONLY WAT WILL BE GFR FF N RPF

PATIENT GLUCOSE LEVEL IS 140.TRANSPORT MAX IS 300 WAT AMOUNT WULD BE
EXCRETED ---ZERO

WOMEN TAKING 3000 CALORIES,WANNA TAKE 30 PER AS PROTEINS ,HOW MANY CALORIES
FRM PROTEINS?

A WOMAN COMES TO U N ASK FR CVS CHK UP,U R A CARDIOLOGIST U ASK HER U CANT
CHK,SHE HAS TO GO TO A LOCAL PHYSCIAN
SHE ASKS Y U SAY
TO SAVE INSURANCE PARTYS MONEY
TO PROVIDE BETTR HEALTH CARE
ITS AGAINST PATIENTS BENEFITS

GT A QS REGARDING GLYCOGEN PHOSPHORYLASE DEF BUT THERE WAS NO GLYCOGEN
PHOSPHORYLASE?INSTEAD THEY NAMED IT MYOPHOSPHORYLASE

GT A VIT A QS,REGARDING NIGHT BLINDNESS

GT A QS REGARDING MECHANISM OF ACTION OF TETRACYCLINES,AMINOGLYCOSIDES

GT A QS REGARDING EPHEDRA

GT A2 QS REGARDING FIELD OF VISION
1 WAS BINASAL HEMIANOPIA
1 WAS LEFT HOMONYMOUS HEMOANOPIA

GT A QS REGARDING MITRAL REGURG

FRACTURE OF HUMERUS WCH NERVE AFFECTED?

HAD TO IDENTIFY AXILLARY NERVE ON A BRACHIAL PLEXUS DRAWING

GT A BRANCHIAL FISTULA QS

GT A QS REGARDING HYDATIFORM MOLE

GT A QS REGARDING SEBBORHEIC KERATOSIS,PIC WAS SHOWN
GT A QS REGRADING PSORIASIS AGAIN PIC WAS SHOWN CLEARLY WTH SILVERY SCALES

GT A QS WTH 2 PICS,ONE GROSS OF A LIPOMA OF COLON N THEN A SLID PIC OF THAT

GT A QS WTH ETHLENE GLYCOL POISONING

GT A QS WTH KM , VMAX CHANGES WTH RESPECT TO CHANGE IN SUBSTRATE CONC

GT A QS WTH PATIENT HAVNG CONNS SYNDROME,THEY ASKED WCH AREA WTH TUMOR

GT A QS WTH ECTOPIC ADH SECRETION

GT A QS WTH PCP POISONING
GT A QS WTH CATATONIC SHIZOPHRENIA

GT A QS WTH INTUSUSSEPTION

GT A QS WTH DUODENAL ATRESIA

GT A QS WTH INFECTIOUS MONO NULEOSIS

GT A PIC OF HYPERSEGMENTED NEUTROPHILS,WAT SHULDNT BE GVEN,FOLIC ACID?

GT A QS WTH CML

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »