Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IMG from Russia -
GurMin - gurmin98

Is anybody, who graduated med.school in Russia and got good score for Step 1?
ashish

i will be appearing for the step 1 what about u ? where are you from when will u be appearing ??
GurMin

I'm from Makhachkala ( the Caspian Sea shore), I just started to prepare for USMLE step 1. So how I understand, u graduated in Russia? If yes, what school?
Natasha - nberdnyk

Hello!
yes, I'm a graduate from the Ukraine. please, sent me an e-mail, I just started, so, may be we can stay in touch, and help each other?
Natasha
JuliaMI

I am from Saint-Petersburg, graduated 1997 Pediatric Academy. Passed Step 1 241/97 one month ago.
GurMin - gurmin98

Hi Julia!!
Congrats!!!!! That is very good score. You inspired me!!!! Smile
Could you please, to responde to my e-mail, what material you used, how long you was prepairing?
JuliaMI

Why "for your eyes only"? Let other folks use this info!

I did not read in English before emigration, so I prepared more than one year (by myself only).
Books: of course, First Aid
Path, Behavioral (not High Yield!!), Physiology - Board Review Series.
Gross anat, Embrio, Neuro, Histo, Molecular Biology - High Yield Editions
Micro - Levinson (Appl/Lange)
Pharmacology and Biochem - LWW (+Pharm - Appleton/Lang - Tresor's book is very difficult but with 1000 great questions)
Pretests: Biochem+genetics (after this do not have any trouble about genetics), Clin Vingettes, Path, Gross Anat, Micro, Neuro. Others
are worse.
Look in First Aid and do everything about Questions which has mark A or B+ You need to do about 2000 questions per subject. I did 300 every day during two months before exam.
Have atlases: Gross anat, histology normal and path, Radiology (study MRI!!). And an "encyclopedia" - Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine is the book which is very useful.
I did not use kaplan materials, but many love them, tsp they are feel themselves "sick and overloaded". Kaplan Q-book and others are really expensive but have good quality.
Exammaster is the good way to waste your money, and not more.
JuliaMI

For saving your money.
Use public libraries and esp. "interlibrary loanes". This way saved me more than $500 (question books which I borrowed in my public library for 25 cents for two weeks each).
Visit "used book sales". I bought all atlases, Harrison, Neuroanatomy Illustrated and some other expensive books for $1-2 per item. Of course, not the newest editions, but what the difference?
In "First Aid" is a mention about "Internet Pathology Laboratory (WebPath). Use this one - 2000 questions are really great and look like those on exam and everything is free.
GurMin - gurmin98

Thanx a lot.
I'm using "First Aid" like a guide. How was exam itselff? What the most questions were about ( subject)?
JuliaMI

Exam seemed to me much more easy than I was afraid one night before. Questions were about everything and they are not divided by "subjects". Lucky to me, I knew ethical problems very well (more than 25 were about it - study Board Review Behavioral full edition). Many questions were long ("full screen") and there were some about simple calculations (but you should know what logarifm is it). Almost all "not about your knowledge only but about your understanding". But I did not remember anyone "specially stupid" or "specially to catch and fool". I even did not use my lunch time and finished about one hour before.
Do not hurry and work hard, and you will do it great!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »