Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chinese Medical Graduate Match Results - dongbeiren
To Wrasse,

Hi, Wrasse, I have the same score as you and not matched this year. I am preparing step 3 now and trying to get some USCE. Can you please tell me where to find the canadian hospitals list? Thank you a lot.

Match666
90/82/csapassed/step3awaiting results/1989 graduates/ph.d in US/12 publications/4 years career gap/no clinical experience anywhere. 2 interviews and not matched. I am looking for some opportunities to do observeship to gain USCE. I still believe if we have everthing they need, we will match sooner or later. Don't give up! It is a matter of time. Somehow I enjoyed all the tests because it helped me to stay at home raising my two kids. Don't give up!
dongbeiren, I have exact same scores as you have. I have no USCE, I am unmatched.

one of my freinds, with less scores and Surgery background matched into IM.

another friend with surgical background matched into Pre-Surgery program, but couldn't get into C-Surgery program. finally give up the match.
to all our fellow chinese friends who didn't match. I am extremely sorry for you situation. Maybe my story help you a little. Low 80s on both steps, cs passed all on first atemp. No step3. graduated 1985, no USA PhD. Strong research and many publication. I had three ivs last year without matched. This year, I did 1 month hands-on training in IM and got two excellent LORs, and 6 months observation (8 hours/week) leading to one very good LOR. Got 12 ivs, matched, no connection. During interviews of this year, many interviewers asked what I did during these periods. Therefore, USCE is truely a factor for us. If permited, one should do it. Do more work as you can to search programs to learn their limitation and requirement for applicants. Apply to the programs that may take you. This is very worthwhile, not only saving money but also increasing chance of geting interviews. Must very well prepare for the interview. Besides the most commonly asked questions, we should know how to answer some specific questions raised by your specific case. e.g., You have more than ten year pathology experience, why do you want to do FM? You have left clinical practice for many years, why do you come back?
78/88(second)/pass/80/no GC. one IV, no match 8 year Chinese CE.9 years US research
9yrs US research, you still don't have GC?
I'd like to share my experiences with you who is going to apply for match this year.
For us, like most people mentioned, score is the most important factor. Higher score, more chance. Next is the reference letter, specially the one from the person who knows you the best (i.e., your current boss). I was always told that i got great letters. At one place, the chairman told me that the letter from my boss was the best one he'd seen in his whole career. Last, performance during the interview is very important, too. I think that girls have a better chance than boys on this point (sorry boys). Keep the conversation going. My conversation with interviewers always had to stop by the PC because of overtime. Do ask questions, but not stupid questions, like pay, benefits and calls. One interviewer told me that he didn't like applicants asking those questions.
Good lcuk. Everyone can do it!
CMS,

Sorry to hear your news. I think match is so unpredictable. I applied last year and I matched to a C-surgery positionn. What was funny was that the C-position is my third choice on the ROL (I applied FM, IM and Surgery). I knew how hard it was to apply for C-Surgery so the top of my ROL is two FM programms (So you see, last year I even did not how the mathc runs). I then realised my heavy surgical background plus my five-year research experience is a big flaw in applicaiton for specialities such as FM and IM in community hospitals. It was extremely difficult to make the PDs believe that I love FM and IM. Since my Green Card was peding and the program only supports J-1 visa , I filed a waiver. The PD was so nice and he didn't give me hard time. This year I applied exclusively Surgery and I only got Pre-Surgery spot. I knew I was lucky last year. Indeed, Pre-surgery is necessary for almost every FMG who wants to go to surgery. There are some tricks in choosing programs. I did not applied to those big University programs where there are a lot of positions, because you are just a small drop of water among so many excellent guys and your attending or PD may never pay attention to you. I was lucky to be interviewed at a couple of small programs where the conversion rate from P-surgery to C-surgery is high. So I will try to make every piece of my effort to stay there. If not I will try another year for the P-Surgery. I think it is too early to give up for your friend. Look those Indian people, it is not uncommon for them to do two years of P-Surgry before finally securing a postion in C-surgery.

Do not give up and I hope good luck for you (and for me) next year.
Hi,aaalu,
I had a few interviews but did not get match. Could you tell me what kind hands-on training
(I mean in hospital or clinic?)and how did you apply it.

Thanks and GL with your residency
so glad to see such a wonderful result for all Chinese IMGs.
everybody did an excellent job. I am still preparing step1. scheduled on 3/31, but will give up this time. I am old 1994 graduate. do not know whether can be lucky as you guys.

good luck at your residency.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »