Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IMG/FMG and residency - jakekdk
Here's the bottom line.....I used to be a Carib med student. I studied my butts of and did well with Steps 1 and 2CK. I got lucky enought to transfer to a US medical school and finished there. I've heard so many comments from PD's as to why IMG/FMG will never get those so called prestigious specialties (ortho, derm, opthalmology, etc..)Ok, there may be some but few....very few...and I'm sure they got it through connection. The comments I've heard: "Oh, these people can't speak english." "Oh, this guy went to the Caribbean, he must've not done well with the MCATs. We don't want him." "Oh, this person can't speak any english. His accent is horrible." Folks, I've heard it with my own ears and seen it with my own eyes.
OK dude. I'm an IMG. I graduated from the caribbean. Yeah, I'm one of those they didn't want. But hey, I studied my brains out. Did well, got my #1 choice: a university radiology residency program. Yeah, I'm one of those few. Yeah, I'm always gonna be looked at by some as a carib guy. You know what? I don't give a flying F. I know what I know. I earned my keep. I didn't use any connections. Most importantly I can hang with the best of them.
ha ha jakekdk,, may be but what do we say about those programs current residents.. they are not better than the new breed... those PDs select them and then later comment on them... the global economy is changing.. get used to the diversity... PDs should not giving lame excuses for their racism.
This is not accurate. Americans will give you a chance even for the prestigious specialties if you have great credentials, research (very important) and good LORs of known people in the field. They are very fair, and I never felt any discrimination.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »