Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kidney Stone... - proud2badoc
Initial investigation for suspected Kidney Stone????

-IVP
-CT abdomen
-USG

wud go with CT abdomen..
CT seems to be to common censenus nowadays

I don't think IVp would be a good idea b/c of the use of dye wich could worsen the condition
CT scan is investigation of choice but can't be 'next step in Mx or initial investigation'. it should alwayz come next to simple urinalysis, ultrasonography and ivp. it has limitations too Advantages of a CT scan include the following:

It can identify other pathology (eg, abdominal aneurysms, appendicitis, cholecystis).

It can be performed quickly.

It avoids the use of intravenous contrast materials.

Disadvantages of CT scan include the following:

It cannot assess individual renal function.

It can miss some unusual radiolucent stones, such as those caused by indinavir, which are invisible on CT scan. Because of this possibility, IVUs with contrast should be used for patients taking indinavir.

At most institutions, a CT scan is still more expensive than an IVU
well we have been discussing this before, so what do u say about X rays then zzetegn?

Know about UA but investigative steps most say CT, over X rays, UW mentions CT as well
guess still confused with this
Kaplan Simulated has given IVP as the gold standard....

i had selected CT scan too....
X rays will only show 90% stones... it wont show uric acid stones... so CT will definitely be better than X rays...
ok makes sense if u suspect radiolucent stones X ray vs CT w/o Contrast

did they give the order of testings?

UW vs Kaplan huhg I am getting tired
Kaplan Simulated ----

IVP remains the gold std for diagnosing pts suspected of suffering from ureteric calculi.. It will give info bout the uptake and excretion of the dye in the kidney & location and size of the calculus, which will aid in further treatment of the pt......

X ray will demonstrate calculus, but it will not give the pertinent info needed for further treatment.

CT n MRi are being used more often, they r not considered the first line diagnostic modalities..........

is this an old simulated kaplan exam??
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »