Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
abt residency req in california and ptal - drsn77
hi all,
i am a fmg from india.have some queries abt residency in california
1. does clinical clerkship include clinical rotations during 2nd, 3rd year mbbs or does it mean the 1 yr internship(done after clearing final mbbs)?
2. the med board of california in their law 2089.5 states that total instruction in clinical courses should be 40 wks total in surg,med etc. does this include clinical rotations as well as internship postings?
3.is a description of the clinical programme required
to be submitted by the medical school?
please help by answering my queries.
It includes pre-final and final years as well internship

make sure you write weeks and not actuall hours

no description required. make it as general. like medicine, skin, ent, surgery including orthopedics,

make sure you have 40 weeks core
and 72 weeks total

if you have less elective do more general med, surgery stuff not vice versa...40 weeks is a must

hey dhillon26 i need some help too... didnt understand it much can you plz explain in detail
do we need to fill out the clerkship by our self. do we need to notarized L-6 form. actually i m in usa now, so how should i do that
I will. email me at gillken
i emailed u
hi, how do we get the California letter?
do we need to send the medical transcript (MBBS) by ourself or it should be sent directly by our college.
thanks dhillon26 for your help. do you know if med schools from india have to send a written programme of instruction to the med board of california?
may i email you for more help?
thanks again
hi guys...this is the procedure to get cali board letter...

step 1. download application for IMGs... http://www.medbd.ca.gov/applicant/applic...tional.pdf

step 2. read information thoroughly...

step 3.a. (if you are in california) Call MBC (medical board of california) to get fingerprint forms. They will ask for nothing but your name and address...As soon as you get the form take it to the finger print location. (http://ag.ca.gov/fingerprints/publications/contact.htm)
This fingerprint form is 3 pages carbon copy form...fill-out that form on fingerprint location and they will guide you if you have a question...don't get surprised to see this location in a GARAGE or in a GROCERY STORE...they will do necessary procedure and get ur firngerprints...they will keep one copy for themselves, one is to be send with INITIAL APPLICATION PACKET and one is for you...

step 3.b. (if you are outside california) call MBC and get the fingerprint form. Additionally you have to submit digital fingerprints to FBI and DOJ...I am totally UNSURE about this procedure as I was in california when I did my PTAL stuff.

Step 4: Fill out application...
L1a to L1e forms are for initial setup of your account with MBC....do not make delays in doing this...If you dont have all your documents ready, forget it...Just fill out L1a-L1e (get notary on last page)...you may wanna mark UPDATE tab on the first page of application...it means you will be sending additional documents as you receive them...
and send it to MBC with Initial App Packet...

so Initially you have to send L1a to L1E forms, one copy of finger print form (filled and signed at fp location), Check/money order for fees ... around 500$...(I am not sure abt this, call MBC!), transcript, your ORIGINAL DIGREE CERTIFICATE (yes, you have to send original...there is one option to this, look for that in general information), your USMLE transcript released to MBC from FSMB....if you do not have this list of documets, dont worry...just send L1 forms and fp form...

step 5...simultaneously fill out L2, L5 forms...(if you are not a post graduate, the other forms are not needed, throw away L3, L4, L6 forms)....you may need to make multiple copies of L5 as you have to write down your entire list of clinical clerkships....get the Sign/Stamp on L2, L5s from college/dean...and send them to MBC....

Step 6.. once your initial application is filed with MBC, they will assign you one representative...talk to him/her directly for any further queries and status of your application...

step 7: once you send your credentials (original degree certi) they will send you a STATUS LETTER mentioning about the required documents yet to send (if any) along with your original degree... they will send it to you by secure courier...dont worry !

about the filling out L5: yes, clinical clerkship starts from 2nd year of med school...write down all clinical rotations in chronological order...you can write down internship rotations also...WE HAVE TO HAVE 1 MONTH OF PSYCHIATRY ROTATION TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR PTAL...I think most schools have 2 weeks rotation during undergrad and 2/4 weeks during internship... so you have to write down your internship rotations to meet that requirement....

step 8: wait for the PTAL to come....it takes a long...!!!

Good Luck guys....California is rocking....worth trying...I didnt get matched here though Sad
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »