Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please Help -
In need!

What is the difference between preliminary and categorical positions? Which one is best to finish a residency? Do I have to specify to which one I am applying?
Thanx Docs
bea

Preliminary is for one year while categorical for 3 years. Preliminary positions are hard to get, some may use that to get into compettitive programs or can use it as us clinical experience, you will have to apply the next year, so if visa issues, you have to renew all after one year.
There is more chance to get in categorical positions, This info is what what I read many times in this forum.
GL
In need!

thanks bea for the info. So preliminary is mostly for the CV and categorical for PG?
bea

Sorry but what is PG?
You may try some preliminary but don't concentrate on that, positions are few and not so easy to get.
In need!

PG: is postgraduate training, as in residency program.
If preliminary doesn't count why are they hard to enter?
bea

look on Freida for positions offered in Preliminary, you will find for ex 29 positions offered in categorical but only 4 or 6 for preliminary. So chances are less from the beginning.
From what I know some people choose this way to get into a program ( even the worst one) then switch the following year to a better one , they use that year to get good letter of recommendations from US hospital.
I hope you get another point of view from another person, because I am applying this year only for categorical programs so all the info is basically from this forum.
GL
In need!

thanz anyways bea and good luck.
Matrix

In Need,
Preliminary programs are for pple going into sub specialities or programs like Neurology, Dermatology, Anaesthesiology,Radiology.They need one preliminary year of internal medicine. These are very competitive programs almost reserved for AMGs .Very difficult to get but not impossible. Don't concentrate on it.Put more emphasis on categorical .
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »