Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Endo Q - spandipati
A 50-year-old Caucasian male presents for evaluation of polyuria and polydypsia for the last two months. He also complains of weakness and fatigue. He had one episode of paralysis that resolved on its own. He has a 20 pack year history of smoking and he does not drink. His past medical history is insignificant. He has no family history of similar problems. Vital signs: P 78/min, BP 150/96 mmHg and temperature 36.7C(98F). The neurological examination and rest of the examination is normal. Labs show plasma sodium 150 mEq/L, potassium 2.2mEq/L and serum creatinine 0.8 mg/dL. Which of the following is the most appropriate next step?

A. Measurement of plasma renin activity and aldosterone concentration
B. Measurement of 24 hour urinary potassium excretion
C. Aldosterone suppression testing
D. Imaging of adrenals by CT scan
E. Adrenal vein sampling

a?
C???
AA
its AA, wat is ur explanation though.
conn's???
It's A. To differentiate b/w primary increase in Aldosterone or secondary to whatever reason causing an increase in Renin
yes the answer is A,

The first test in all patients with unexplained hypertension and hypokalemia is the measurement of plasma renin activity and plasma aldosterone concentration
The only exception to this rule is those patients who are on thiazide diuretics for whom serum potassium is repeated after cessation of thiazides.

can someone explain this please,

A 50-year-old Caucasian male presents for evaluation of polyuria and polydypsia for the last two months. He also complains of weakness and fatigue. He had one episode of paralysis that resolved on its own.

can this be related to hyperaldosteronism, i agree with weakness and fatigue.
one episode of paralysis that resolved could be a TIA sec to HTN and smoking.
i am i rt in the thought process or am i missing things with regards to hyperaldosteronism,
thank u
hi kaps and han80, wat do u think abt the above
u r on right way spandipati.. with this test we can confirm if it is primary hyperaldoste or secondary...
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »