Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Post Match - ssr
Hi Friends,

I need help in post match scramble. Can someone guide me on how to approach it correctly.... I was late in applying and my scores are just passing...also I would like to stay in NY...

sat

anyone??
i need to know abotuthis too.so someone with the best idea plz coem up and help us.Is it with the phone or the mails
Read this post @ usmle . net

Post-match Scramble: Preparation, Organization, Knowledge

Ok...so one didn't match. The next option is the post-match scramble but what exactly is it? We're about to find out.

Official requirements:
1. Fax Machine and Email Account ...
2. Standard Curriculum Vitae ... You can only use ERAS for up to 30 programs.
3. Letters of Recommendation ...
4. Medical School Transcript
5. ECFMG Certificate
6. A flawless, and well written Personal Statement
7. Dean's Letter ... if applicable.

Visit NRMP.org for more information.
Ok..well it seems straight forward so far.

In 2005 this will be 12:00 noon, Eastern Time in the United States, on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 and will last from noon on March 15 to noon on March 17, 2005. In these 48 hours the online USMLE Post Match scramble process usually transmits thousands of documents.

Good news: The process if fr.e during the post-match scramble.

So that means I will have to submit my documents to ERAS beforehand. And in case I did not register with the Match, I need an NRMP / AAMC ID and a password to gain access to the list of unfilled positions.
Ok..it's getting a little complicated but still manageable.

Then the website tells me:
During the 48 hours of the USMLE Post Match scramble, there is no time for manual processing. Your file must be ready for automatic processing by our system before the USMLE Post Match scramble begins.

That means:

1. At least one week before the USMLE Post Match scramble, you must apply to at least one program.

2. If you are planning to apply during the USMLE Post Match scramble only, you must still apply to at least one program about one week before the USMLE Post Match scramble.

3. You must also make sure that all of your documents have been received and assigned, so that ERAS can attach and transmit them before the USMLE Post Match scramble.

4. If you are sending ERAS new or replacement LoRs, they must have them one week prior to the USMLE Post Match scramble, so that they have time to attach them. If you have a new, additional LoR, assign it to one of your original programs. This gives them time to attach it before the USMLE Post Match scramble. During the USMLE Post Match scramble ERAS will not have time to do it.

5. If you are sending ERAS a replacement LoR from the same writer, attach a note to it that reads, "This replaces the previous LoR." Otherwise, ERAS might mistake it for another copy of the one they have already scanned and discard it without scanning. After that, your file is ready for the USMLE Post Match scramble.

Hmm..more complications..but that's ok. It's all so I can be ready for the big day.

D-Day is here:
It's time to download the list of unmatched positions.
Little do I know that every future resident in the country is trying to log on to the NRMP. Needless to say, most of us unsuccessfully. 2 hours in, and I am still trying. The NRMP web site just cannot handle the load.
After logging on, I am still three clicks away from downloading a list of unmatched programs. Each click I have to repeat from 10 to 100 times because everybody else is doing that.
After getting the list I still have to filter out the information I need: speciality and geographic location. Now I need to compile a list of phone numbers, e-mails and faxes of the programs you want to apply to.
I log on to ERAS and apply to up to 30 programs I am interested in the most.
I start calling the programs, and the nightmare continues: what a mess...faxes not going through, phones busy, voice mails full, emails being returned...!! seems like it's next to impossible...
Then I receive some calls from the programs which then interview me on the phone. I am so flustered with the whole process, I start stammering and not answering correctly. How can one focus with all this happening, and the time flynig by and me trying to fax while a PD is trying to reach me.

So what's the solution?
There is none. One has to go through the process. The only way you can get through it is:
Preparation: The program coordinator and assistant director are on standby and prepared. So whenever an application that is requested is faxed, it is immediately reviewed. So why should they be prepared and not I?
Organization: One has to be organized and set a game plan on how to proceed. Success seldom occured amongst chaos.
Knowledge: You cannot defeat an enemy if you don't know the battlefield. You have to be familiar with the process long before it starts unfolding.

Hope this helped.
I am available for IMG consulting services, or simple assistance or guidance if needed.

IMGresident

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »