Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting Information about visa H or J ....... - cshouston30
J1 visa has a lot of negative aspects. First of all you have to get a J1 visa waiver job after 3 years of residency, if not, then you have to go back to your home country. J1 visa waiver jobs are getting very competitive now days and includes only a certain number of position per state (i think 50) and those position include not only doctors but nurses, technicians, and other health care proffessionals. Even if you are able to get a J1 visa waiver job, it will be in a very rural setting with very low pay.
In addition during your residency on a J1 visa moonlighting can not be done.
I also heard from my friend that if you decide on doing a fellowship after J1 visa residency and finish it it is even more difficult to get a J1 visa waiver job. This is becuase many of the visa waiver jobs are for general physicians not doctors with a specialty. This is becuase specialty doctors are not needed in rural areas.
The final and possibly most negative point of accepting a J1 visa is that no matter what you do you have to get a visa waiver job or else you go to your home country. It doesn't matter even if you have your green card or bbecame a citizen of US while doing your residency, you still will have the J1 visa status.

Sorry if I wrote a lot folks. But many people I know seem to think that getting J1 visa is not that big of a deal and take it lightly and as long as they can get there foot in the door it doesnt matter how. Also a lot of people think "oh thats in the future...I will worry about it then". But smart planning in the beginning is better than getting screwed later on.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »