Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A good Q , whos the BEST ? - radiocool
You are working in the emergency department and see a 28-year-old previously healthy woman with a recent upper respiratory infection who has generalized weakness, headache, and blurry vision. For the past 2 weeks she has had upper respiratory symptoms that started with a sore throat, nasal congestion, and excessive coughing. She went to your partner 4 days ago and was diagnosed with sinusitis. She was given a prescription for an antibiotic and took it for 2 days and stopped. After that she developed chills, a headache, lightheadedness, vomiting, blurry vision, and general "achiness." The blurry vision remains when she closes either eye. She has no drug allergies. Her temperature is 39.2 C (102.6 F). She appears lethargic, has eye tenderness with movement, mild photosensitivity, and nuchal rigidity. Ophthalmologic examination is unremarkable. The most appropriate next step is to

A. get an MRI of the head, then perform a lumbar puncture

B. give her a prescription for oral azithromycin and let her go home

C. immediately administer intravenous ceftriaxone

D. immediately start intravenous acyclovir

E. obtain cerebrospinal fluid and blood cultures and observe her until the results come back
i think A
il do cccc
c too
A
Meningeal irritation,needs imaging before any LP.CECT brain would also have been fine.
imaging in meneingites is required only if suspected icp is high otherwise u can start empiric antibiotics n then do lp within few hours if ur susupecting meneigites then gve antibiotocs n then do any imaging ct or mri
ccc i guess if patient dosent have papilloedema , we can give ceftriaxone first then go for mri or lp
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
The correct answer is C. The immediate concern is that she has bacterial meningitis and she should be treated with intravenous ceftriaxone. A lumbar puncture should be performed, however the treatment should not be delayed until the results return. Thanks guys
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm......what i know this could be cerebral abscess also...we always use to do ct 1st!!!
will keep this scenario in mind

thx radiocool
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »