Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
clear this trouble (3) - vanco

40 years old woman comes to physician with markdely painfull, swollen, warm knee, aspiration of knee demonstrates milky white fluid with very high leukocyte count. no crystals are seen, based on information, which of following is most likely organism?

1. N.gonorrhea
2. pseudominas
3. stap aureus
4. streptococci
3.staph aureus
_ 333
3. stap aureus

this question is from kaplan Q bank. i also marked option 333 but it went wrong.

correct answer is AAA

it says it is gonococcal arthritis.

and it didnt given the reason that why it is not staph caused septic arhtritis.

i think myself, might be due to age. because bacterial septic arhtritis (staph) commonly seen in man, and in woman after menopasue, even after 60 years og age.
The 2 major classes of bacterial/suppurative arthritis are gonococcal and nongonococcal.1, 2, 3, 4 Overall, although Neisseria gonorrhoeae remains the most common pathogen (75% of cases) among younger sexually active individuals,5, 6 Staphylococcus aureus infection is the cause of the vast majority of cases of acute bacterial arthritis in adults and in children older than 2 years.7 This pathogen is the cause in 80% of infected joints affected by rheumatoid arthritis.

Three major types of prosthetic joint infections (PJIs) exist: those that occur early, within 3 months of implantation; those that are delayed, within 3-24 months of implantation; and those that occur later than 24 months following the implantation. Most cases of early PJI are caused by S aureus, while delayed infections are due to coagulase-negative S aureus (CONS) and gram-negative aerobes

my 5 cents
thnx vanco for qs

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »