Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
nbme f3 b4 Q29 - j990979
Seven days after sustaining partial- and full-thickness burns in a house fire, a 7-year-old boy has brain asphyxia, acute respiratory distress syndrome, multiorgan system failure, and sepsis. He is being mechanically ventilated. After consultation with his parents, a do-not-resuscitate order is written, and the boy is removed from the ventilator. Twenty minutes later, his blood pressure is bp86/42 mm Hg, pulse is 130 min. and respirations are 8/min. He periodically moans in pain. His current pain medication is intravenous morphine (20 mg/h). Which of the following is the most appropriate next step in pain management?

O A) Decrease the morphine until the patient's respirations are greater than 12/min
O B) Increase the morphine
O C) Administer midazolam
O D) Administer naloxone
0 E) Administer pancuronium

Here the answer given is B
However, I think it's A

B is incorrect, I think
If we give more morphine, he will have even more resp depression which will lead to
a help in death of this pt. d/t severe resp depression. Although he has DNR signed, DNR does NOT mean active help in dying like giving more morphine cauding respiratory depression severe enough for death.

C is not correct, coz this can also cause resp depression
D will reverse the morphine effect completely but this pt needs opiate for pain control so not D
E is not correct beczuse he's not undergoing intubation

So I think the answer shud be A
First we need to decrease the morphine so the resp rate cud be elevated to 12/min
and during this time, we cud give the patient something that has less resp depessive effect

What do u guys think??
I think it is (B). The rule is never leave anyone in pain because we are afraid of morphine side effects.
I think it should be ' A'..
what if pt. dies of respiratory depression..because RR of 8/min is very severe..
I email my professor and he told me that
If the Q was asking "next step in general" then the answer will be naloxone
However since the Q is asking "next step in pain management" the answer is B
Increase morphine

I asked several friends of mine in IM and they all said B too
so I'm guessing in DNR patients, pain management is very important and although it may decrease RR more, morphine is still used if pain is not controlled with the current dose

So B everyone Smile

C) Administer midazolam
patient with overdose of morphine...his resp is 8...more morphine is not going to help......this is standard practice to give midazolam with morphine in palliation
http://www.pallimed.org/2006/02/midazola...e-for.html
but this article is about dyspnea. Here the main problem in the child is pain from the severe burns
I agree w jorj
I think answer to this Q is B
Increase morphine

As jorj said, pain control is the most important..
Shud increase morphine~!
CCCC

He is already on a high dose of morphine.
https://online.epocrates.com/u/102111/mo...ric+Dosing
Average 7 year olds are between 20 and 25Kg.
http://www.cdc.gov/growthcharts/data/set...41l021.pdf

Palliative care always use benzos in combo with morphine for end of life pain control. So I say CCCC.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »