Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
need help regarding reseach - goodnews

I am getting an opportunity to start volunteer work in research .it is a well known university.
It is a good spot and director, who is such a great person, promise me that I can work on publication as a leading person.
and he said that one of candidate from his department accepted in same university after one publication. And it takes one year to complete it.
Well after that remarks I reassure him that I will do my best.

Now I am in trouble because I don™t know even abc about publication.lol
how to start . and also is this true that after one publication I can get spot.
Can any one can guide me about it .especially about publication .is it the idea or what, is it included trial on animal or what
i know my questions are not easy but I will be very thankful for any reply.
typo*can any one guide me
there is an undersupply of postdocs nationwide. therefore, i find it unethical and questionable to offer unpaid research opportunities. please note that the director did not promise you anything regarding a residency spot. when he talks about a year he probably means that you will be expected to do a clinical study or lab work mainly. writing up the paper will only make up a small fraction of your effort.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/ (enter "last name, blank, initial) will provide you with some info on your "mentor's" research interests. inside a university system you can typically access all upcoming pdf's for free. just look for 10 or 20 original research reports that are similar to your project and you will have an idea about the structure of your paper.

re "and also is this true that after one publication I can get spot:" listen to your gut. if you are unsure, talk to your "mentor" again face-to-face. afterwards, you will hopefully know.
dont wana discourage u...but i busted my ass to do research in a big unvi program for one year...and was promised all these good things by the PD there...however..they did not even rank me eventually..

i did match this year though..but at a diff place..

so all i will say is that...plz dont read too much into these people's promises...but at the same time..if it is a good univ program..go for it...coz even if they dont absorb u in their program itself...the LORs u can get here will definitely help u at other places...atleast that was the case for me..

good luck!!!
Thanks allot parsifal and aditi12345.i really appreciate it.

actually i have no choice because next match would be my last one.i have to do this research work b/c i need job and this usmle certificate is useless to get any job .may be this 0ne year experience help me for plan B.
yes he did not promise for residency but i think no one can promise just after one interaction.

parsifall could you explain (enter "last name, blank, initial) ?
aditi12345 can i get your email mine is
goodnews04
thanks again.
let's say you would want to look at all papers authored by erlingur vigfusson. you would enter "vigfusson e" in order to obtain the results.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »