Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My experience - heydude
Finally, I passed Step 3. This forum has meant a lot to me. Anytime I felt depressed, I came here. You guys always encouraged me. I want to say thank you and good luck to you all. As an old graduate of 1988, Step3 was the hardest exam. It is a tough test for someone who learned medicine long time ago. I failed it last year, after studying on uw moq/ccs, kaplan notes (step2), and crush. Then I started over with premier home study (cheapest one comes with MP3 and old notes), first aid, and swanson. I think most of the review books are not good enough for the MOQ except premier. Uw ccs and first aid ccs are more than enough. If you graduated medical school in a several years, it should be fine to use just a few review books and question bank, but for old graduates who forgot everything, you need something more, such as premier. I am currently in residency program at some university. Because of my strong basic research background, I got a position through match without knowing anyone in any programs in the US, and I had no clinical experience at the time of interview. I got only two interviews, and matched to the first pick (I was very lucky). I did not match to my preliminary position, but I got it outside match through the program. After starting my prelim-year in medicine, it was very difficult for me to adjust myself to the system in the US that is completely different from the one in my country. The program put me on probation for a while because I had no clue what to do in the ward. But eventually, I graduated my internship, and started the residency in my speciality last year. I would like to give you some advise, regarding match, if you are applying for the program without outstanding score (like me, all of my scores are less than 85), and if you are an old graduate, I found many FMGs have matched to the program after spending a couple of years doing research in the department you are interested. If the primary investigator is a physician, it is better, because your boss can write a good recommendation letter, and help you to get a position in their or outside program. The way to get a research position is to write a letter directly to the program director or other faculties to ask for the possible research opportunities or observation. If you are working full-time like I was, it might be difficult, but unfortunately it is the way it works. Convincing the person who are known in the filed is the fast-track: that is something I have found during my residency.
Thanks again, and do not give up. You never know what is going to happen. While I was going through match process, many, many, many people told me that there was NO chance to get a position. But see, I am here finishing my residency in one of the most competitive field even for the american graduates. So, do not listen to negative input, just believe in yourself, be practical, be positive, and wait to see what is on your way.
God bless you,
hey dude,
whats your country of origin? if you dont mind asking
I am from one of the Asian countries. People do not speak English there.
Thank so much for sharing.I am an old grad ,went to med school in germany,have low score with multiple attempts and the only good contact i have in the program told me last time that i will never have residency here.Thank you for your encouragement.
what specialty you are in now?
thx for ur experience sharing
i m very confused about my status and future. I am an IMG, 2005 grad. step 1 85 and ck 93. didnt get visa for the first time, and now coming to usa for cs exam. I was planning to appear in cs exam in aug, but due to rejection of visa, i couldnt make it. I didnt apply in any program yet.
please guide me what should i do, i mean should i apply in this year MATCH? i dont have any usce or any us lor.
i also have some financial problems, cant take risk.
whats ur expert and sincere advise.
thx
Hi dratif,

You need to obtain ECFMG certificate before applying. So I would focus on cs exam. In my opinion, it may be a little bit too late to take cs now for this year's match, because you need several weeks to find out you pass, and receive your certificate. You need the certificate to initiate your match process. It is still possible to apply this year, but the chance of getting interviews will be low. (Most of the programs decide who interview in September and October, although some minor specialities decides later.) Your score is decent and you graduated the med school in 5 years, so you should be fine for the next year. If you have visa, you will be able to seek the observership opportunity (even for a month) that will bump up your chance to get more interviews, and hopefully recommendation letter from the US. But without these, you are just fine. Good luck,
thx for ur prompt reply. i really appreciate your response and will try to follow the same. can u guide me for any observership or research opportunities? my email is dratif_2005
i will b glad to have ur email.
thx once again
hello, heydude.....your exp. is really inspiring for people like me.....i have 80/78/cs/ first attempt and 1 attempt in step3 (not given second time)....i have more than a yr of research exp. in basic science and have two publications....did few months of observerships....but no i.v. as of yet....2007 grad...and losing hope of getting into any program...if possible can u guide me what to improve for next yr?
mutated_genes
did you need visa?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »