Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
something is wrong - unmeritedfavoe
I AM PERSUADED THAT SOMETHING IS VERY WRONG FOR A VERY QUALIFIED MEDICAL DOCTOR TO TAKE MEDICAL ASSITANT JOB FOR MANY YEARS IN THE USA WITH LITTLE OR NO HOPE FOR RESIDENCY. INFACT I BELIEVE THIS DUE TO LACK OF AWARENESS AND POOR SELF ESTEEM. THE WORLD IS ABOUT PEOPLE AND DREAMS CAN BE ACHIEVED ANYWHERE. DONT GO FOR LESS, BE THAT YOU STUDIED FOR. THERE IS AN AWARENESS THAT WILL CHANGE YOUR STATE OF MIND AND GRANT YOU YOUR ESTATE. GOD BLESS YOU.
Let's be realistic here, and not be the "romantic" emotional people that most think the world can be approached with.

People's dreams are mostly based around lifestyle, not work. People think of their futures with their own home, car, family, children and a safe are to live in with good financial and physical security. That's what most people dream of.

To do that, one looks for a job that offers him the financial return that could provide for the lifestyle he dreams of. If a Medical Assistant job in the US provides for better lifestyle than working as a doctor in his home country, then most people will go to the Medical Assistant job.

Lifestyle is the end game here, not work.
I agree with OP! I fully understand though that, things could be desperate for IMGs, particularly with family responsibilities etc! Even then, how low could you possibly go? How much can you humiliate yourself? Becoming a Med Asst or RN after graduating from Medschool!!!!!??? At certain point we need to draw the line and stand there, no matter whatever comes!! Better to die starving than to be humiliated like that!!
For me, I would better work rather than starve. Besides, other professions are not a degrading. Stop having that superior attitude.
Once in the US, you will realize that you are not that "godly", as people from your country might think of you as a doctor.
It's not uncommon for AMG to work as a nurse or physician assistant or from other profession before thinking of becoming an MD. For me personally, I really admired their persistent, and dedication. Doctors are about dedication, attitude & willingness to help other human beings. Not about pride or something like that!
unmeritedfavoe
Can you pls advise people on what they should do then, while waiting for a residency spot ?
I mean what is your advise on gaining current USCE which so many programs ask for, while awaiting residency?
ONE THING IS CERTAIN FOR ALL HUMAN BEINGS WITH POWER OF REFLECTION, YOU SHOULD ASK YOURSELF EVERY SEASON OR YEARLY IM I MAKING PROGESS. I MENTIONED THIS BECAUSE OF FEW COLLEAGUES WHOS STATUS REMAINED CHRONIC MEDICAL ASSISTANT FOR MORE THAN SIX YEARS . I BELIEVED WE ALL READ MEDICINE TO TRANSLATE OUR EDUCATION TO BOTH ACADEMIC AND FINANCIAL SUCCESS WHILE LIVING OUR DREAMS OF GETTING PEOPLE WELL. I HAVE A FRIEND WHO REFUSED TO BE SUBJECTED INTO THIS RESIDENCY DILEMMA BUT GOT MASTERS IN PUBLIC HEALTH AND PHD IN INTERNATIONAL HEALTH NOW HE IS WORKING IN THE USA COMFORTABLY WITH W.H.O. THERE ARE OPPORTUNITIES ALL OVER THE WORLD FOR DOCTORS, SOME MIGHT COME WITH WRITING ANOTHER SERIES OF EXAMS, SOME MIGHT COME THRU CONTINUOUS PRACTICE AND BEING AT THE RIGHT PLACE AND AT THE RIGHT TIME. THE GREATEST KILLER OF A MAN IS DECEPTION AND IGNORANCE. LOOK AROUND THE GLOBE U CAN STILL GET A BETTER DOCTORS JOB THAT CAN PAY MORE THAN A MEDICAL ASSISTANT, YOU NOT ONLY PRACTICE YOUR DREAM BUT U WILL DO IT WITH UNFETTERRED SELF ESTEEM AND U WILL ALSO OBSERVE GROWTH IN YOUR PRACTICE AND EXPERIENCE. STAGNATION IS A FORM OF SLOW DEATH.
Best thing you can do while you try to get residency in the us is to conitnue to work towards your goal. the programs need to see that you have been doing something clinical while awaiting residency. Wether is medical or surgical or pa assitance. It is a lot better than doing nothing. thee are many residents in my program that did just that. And they got in.

dr.mike
http://thankyougodforresidency.blogspot.com/
Very Good Advise...AIM HIGH and DON'T Underestimate your capabilities..
Dear unmeritedfavoe.
I just registered in Forum only to answer your inquiry about people who work as medical assistants or nurses.
Don't forget we have different backgrounds, different family needs and financial means.
If you are fortunate enough to immigrate and study and take your steps. Great for you.
But do not be too judgmental about people who have kids, old parents, rent to pay etc...

When I got divorced I had 10$ in my pocket and I had to survive first, before thinking of my medical career. So I worked as a kitchen aid in UCLA, then Medical assistant for 4 years. Did I hurt psychologically? Yes!
If you noticed I didn't find a "night job" which would support me better than a medical assistant. Believe me with my looks I could do it...
To cut the long story short, I got 99-248 from my step 1, and just got my Step 2 of 257. Did I make a progress? Was it easy? No!!!
I was lucky I didn't have kids to support or it would take me longer.... So, please, don't be too judgmental.... Compassion is a better way of communication..
Good luck!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »