Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NBME F 1 B2 alcohol or ..? - silvy
I would think alcohol because of the increased MCV and ggt, but I am not sure couse no increase in AST??

A 42-year-old woman comes to the physician for an annual pelvic examination and Pap smear. Over the past year, she has had increasing fatigue and difficulty sleeping. She has two children who both attend college. She is currently looking for part-time work outside the home. Her husband has been busy in a new start-up business. Examination shows no abnormalities. Laboratory studies show:

Hemoglobin 15 g/dL
Mean corpuscular volume 95 μm3
Leukocyte count 6000/mm3 with a normal differential
Serum
Na+ 145 mEq/L
Cl“ 102 mEq/L
K+ 4.5 mEq/L
HCO3“ 25 mEq/L
Urea nitrogen (BUN) 18 mg/dL
Creatinine 1.0 mg/dL
Alkaline phosphatase 70 U/L
Aspartate aminotransferase
(AST, GOT) 22 U/L
Alanine aminotransferase
(ALT, GPT) 19 U/L
γ-Glutamyltransferase
(GGT) 83 U/L
(N=5“50 U/L)

Which of the following is the most likely explanation for this patient's laboratory abnormalities?

A
) Acetaminophen

B
) Alcohol

C
) Diphenhydramine

D
) Estrogen effect

E
) Ibuprofen
Alcohol
agree with B cuz of high GGT.
BB
what about Estrogens guys?
im thinking of estrogen b/c no history of alcohol here and patient has asedentary life ...but i don't know the explanation
cause high MCV, or macrocytosis, including: liver disease or obstructive; jaundice; cancer chemotherapy or immunosuppressive therapy; bone marrow suppression, infiltration or aplasia; myelodysplasia; hypothyroidism; absence of spleen; erythropoietin therapy; any condition that causes high reticulocyte count (hemolytic anemia or following acute blood loss); Down syndrome; selenium deficiency; rare inborn errors of metabolism of folate or B12. In addition, the presence of cold agglutinin in the blood may cause falsely elevated MCV. and more importantly I think the answer lies hidden but I think the answer is Estrogen,
Causes of Macrocytic Anemia (Increased MCV)

Poor diet
Starvation
Malabsorbtion
Intestinal diseases
Malignancy
Hyperthyroidism
Alcoholism
Pregnancy
Viigo here MCV is Normal
it seems so wierd to me.. they'd give us more specific clues about alcoholic epatitis, I am not an expert at all but a simple elevation of the GGT

Algeria do you know anything about extrogens effect on hep>?
pt is not anemic and N MCV so y to choose alcohol????
I'd rather go 4 Estrogens
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »