Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any kababayan who match - ???? - kungdoktor
What's a kababyan?
People who eat a lot of kabab, tikka, boti?
hi! i'm finally able to log in here! congrats to all who matched!!! unfortunately for me i didn't. i was a bit disappointed and slighlty surprised since i got a very good letter from the PD that i am a "top applicant" and will be ranked high but on hindsight, he must have sent it to 100 applicants so this is not totally unexpected :-)

i'm ok. i got over the disappointment rather very quickly. i have so many blessings to be thankful for in my life to feel sorry for myself. one year not spent being a resident is a year spent w/ my young son so that's a very comforting thought. i wasnt also completely invested w/ the whole residency application this year due to some other factors.

i just feel relieved now that i have slept like a baby this past couple of nights than in the last few months! take care everyone and word of advice to all new residents, please keep an open mind. taking care of patients here in the US is so completely different from our patients back home. they ARE the boss and not you ( the MD) ;-) Working as RN right now, i know first hand what doctors here go through on an everyday basis so just keep an open mind, heart and soul. dont let the stress get you down. i also worked in a county hospital w/ a residency program before and let me tell you, as an intern you are not treated any special by the staff ( nursing, ancillary etc.). if anything, if they know you are slightly slow to respond and not aggressive they think you are weak and may talk badly about you behind your back to your seniors and attending. they dont seem to realize that you are MDs already. they think interns are still students!! i had to correct a lot of co-workers of this notion before! be nice to your nurses so they will be nice to you too and will not make your life hell;-) because trust me they CAN and WILL do that! at this point, you need everybody to be your friend and ally.

ingat mga kababayan and let the new chapter in your life begin... to all unmatched good luck too! being an MD here maybe your biggest goal but dont forget the people around you too. just deal w/ the disappointment for now and get on w/ a new game plan. sometimes the grass is greener on the other side of the fence :-)
@kungdoctor,

its an amaaaazing response.Woooow! Thnks a lot.

any specific suggestion you like to give me pls ?
@osteosarcoma - well ur CV and personal statement make it look nice
during interview wag ka mahiyain dapat makapal mukha mo and always ask a question
you can email me anytime if u have help or question
@osteosarcoma: i matched but i still don't know where and what program. i have 1 fm and 2 im iv's...after graduating from med school i went into gen surgery residency (1996-2000) after which i started my private practice. 2001-2005 i worked in micronesia a us trust territory as a surgeon/general practice in a gov't hosp. after i finished my contract i went back to my private practice and at the same time review for the usmle (2007-2009). applied for the match 2009 but was unlucky. this match i applied again for 150 plus im, fm and gs programs. i added step3 and research volunteer here in the phil to my credentials.
@Phoenix27: Congratulations! Finally all your hardwork is starting to pay off. I did not match this year. How did you improve your CV?

@kungdoktor: Congratulations to you too. Can you please tell me what was you did to strengthen your application? I really need all the input I can have.

DO you know where there are possible hospitals wer we can apply externships?

Thank you.
Congrats to all kababayans who matched this year!

@Trinomaniac: To get a match is a gift. I didnt get a match this year. Talagang nakakapagod maghabol ng matching. Can you please tell what to do to get a match. How did your interview with the prematches went? This is draining at nagdadalawang isip pa ako kung magtry ulit. Mga experiences ninyo nina kungdoktor, docmae, at phoenix are really inspirational. What can you suggest? Thanks.
scsc @ having step 3 in ur cv helps. yung ps ko i used malalalim na english. start with a quotation from a famous person. mention aboout ur patient experience and what u learned from that experience. mention about ur usce and what u learned during that exposure. plans of going to fellowship. what kind of a person u are when working with other people. expectation from the program
i totally agree with kungdoktor on how having a good personal statements really helps. i know 2 people with almost the same credentials.. same grades on usmle step 1&2, same school, internship, year of grad, same observership experience... one got around 16 interviews, the other one 10. the difference? their ps.. the other one unique and striking, the other one sort of ordinary. so... really spend time working on those ps =)

need help regarding j1 visa processing. just got my ds2019. i've been back-reading on the j1 visa topic in the forum. it looks like we do have to pay for the machine-readable visa application fee of $131? the us embassy website is somewhat confusing..

another thing.. i graduated 2006 and has been moonlighting part-time a few months after boards. "raket" here and there. no official proof of employment really. what do i put in the work history form (DS-158)? ok lang ba walang supporting documents?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »