Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Two cases from UW--renal artery stenosis - for2011
There are 2 very similar case from UW Qbank, they are both related to renal artery stenosis:

1. A 65-yo man comes to your office for follow-up after his previous visits revealed inadequately controlled hypertension. He has no present complains except difficulty walking uphill or climbing stairs, because of the pain in the right thigh, which makes him stop and rest. His past medical history includes stable angina, requiring coronary angioplasty and stenting 2 years ago; hypercholesterolemia; a 2-year history of hypertension; and a 10-year history of diabetes mellitus, type 2. His current medications are aspirin, metoprolol, hydrochlorothiazide, enalapril, amlodipine, pravastatin and glyburide. He smokes 1 and 1/2 packs of cigarettes per day and does not consume alcohol. His BP is 160/100 mm Hg in his right arm and 180/110 mm Hg is his left arm. Which of the following findings will point to the potential cause of the resistant hypertension in this patient?
A. Increased pulsation of intercostal arteries
B. Continuous murmur in the paraumbilical area to the right
C. Increased urinal excretion of VMA
D. High aldosterone/renin ratio

2. A 67 yo man is evaluated for hypertension. He complains of occasional morning headaches. His past medical history is also significant for type 2 DM, coronary artery disease, and a stroke with residual left-sided weakness. He underwent coronary artery bypass surgery seven years ago and carotid endarterectomy 5 years ago. His current meidcation list includes lisinopril, hydrochlorothiazide, amlodipine, metoprolol, aspirin, metformin and glyburide. His BP is 190/120 mm Hg on the right arm and 170/110 mm Hg on the left arm. His HR is 65/mmin. Physical examination reveals a periumbilical systolic-diastolic bruit. the latter finding is best explained by which of the following?
A. Abdominal aortic aneurysm
B. Aortic dissection
C. Renal artery stenosis
D. Aortic coarctation

These two cases are NOT hard. But I found that in the above cases, both mentioned about the different BP in the left and right arm. My Question is: Are these symptoms must appear in renal artery stenosis?

2. rt arm bp greater than left --usually found in coarctation of aorta, is it also present in Renal artery stenosis?
plz let me about it. was it in the same way?
Bp will be high period in RAS .but will be higher on the side of RAS.
I happened to find these cases, do you have any references? Is the different BP in the arms meaningful for diagnosis? Thanks!
The first Q has 2 clues to diagnose RAS
1)pain in the right thigh while walking.
2)Difference of Bp in rt n left arms.

so yes the difference of Bp in the arms is meaningful for diagnosis...if other clues are not there for diagnosis.

The 2nd Q has just 2 clue again
1) difference of Bp in the arms
2)periumb sys/dias bruit( diagnostic of RAS)
Int he 2nd Q we don ve to ve the first clue to diagnos RAS as the periymb sys/dias murmur is the diagnostic of only RAS.

wat kina murmur do we hear in aortic aneurysm?is it sys or dias most likely systolic.correct me if i am wrong.
Thanks a lot, acyclovir99. You R absolutely right. In the question stem, they not only tell you thigh pain while walking, but also some other symptoms hinting you the patient has very severe atherosclerosis, such as the patient has past medical history of angina, angioplasty and stenting as well as hypercholesterolemia. all these R the etiology to cause renal artery stenosis due to atherosclerosis.
yea u right.CAD is present in both Qs.
and RAS there will b history of elevated bp even though the pt is on anti hypertensives..
(HTN resistant to medication) classic for RAS
Oh really.
Thanks.
I found these cases interesting as well.

What, exactly, IS a systolic-diastolic bruit?
I do not recall this being taught.

I know what a bruit is... does S-D mean you hear it both during systole and diastole?

Thanks
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »