Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
nbme1 block 1 q 9 - person
For each patient with cognitive impairment, select the most likely diagnosis.
A ) Acute stress disorder
B ) Dementia, Alzheimer's type
C ) Dissociative amnesia
D ) General paresis
E ) Head trauma
F ) Hepatolenticular degeneration (Wilson's disease)
G ) HIV encephalitis
H ) Huntington's disease
I ) Major depressive disorder
J ) Multi-infarct (vascular) dementia
K ) Niacin deficiency
L ) Normal-pressure hydrocephalus
M ) Parkinson's disease
N ) Pick's disease
O ) Schizophrenia, catatonic type
P ) Normal aging
9. An 82-year-old woman is brought to the physician by her granddaughter because of a 6-week
history of increasing forgetfulness. She is a retired schoolteacher and lives independently. Her
granddaughter is concerned because on several occasions she has left the stove on when she went
to bed. During conversations with her granddaughter, she has difficulty remembering past events
and seems unconcerned about her memory lapses. The patient describes trouble sleeping through
the night and has had a decreased appetite resulting in a 4.5-kg (10-lb) weight loss over the past
month. She has a history of similar symptoms 2 and 5 years ago that were successfully treated with
medication. She appears unkempt and has poor personal hygiene. Her temperature is 37 C (98.6 F),
blood pressure is 110/70 mm Hg, and pulse is 80/min and regular. Mental status examination shows
psychomotor retardation, a flat affect, impaired ability to recall past events, and trouble repeating
three numbers in sequence. She is unable to recall the names of recent presidents. Her serum urea
nitrogen (BUN) level is 25 mg/dL, and serum creatinine level is 1.7 mg/dL.
I would say J
Actually I am confused between B and J coz they say the pt has a history of similar symptoms 2 and 5 years ago

Any takers
up
But her BP is normal for it to be multi infarct dementia
what do you think ab depression?

Simlar sym treated e medicine before. it can't be Alz.
Lives independent.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »