Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
upmc - shahare
@hanna123:

NO, they do not take IMGs in their categorical program at the main UPMC in Pitt.

Majority of the top programs do not want to take IMGs because of internal resistance from faculty and also AMGs. When a top program takes an IMG, it will be kind of a black mark for the program and its reputation decreases somewhat among AMGs.

It means that they could not attract top quality AMGs and thus had to take IMGs. Its all politics also. Some top programs openly tell you that they do not accept IMGs! There are extremely rare exceptions to this norm and usually those exceptions have really top creds (not just scores), PhD, contacts, etc

GL
Cafe.. both Montefiore and Presbyterian are in main UPMC. But shadyside, mckeesport and mercy etc. are just affiliates. ISP is in the main upmc program, its just another track apart from research/ABIM, categoorical etc. .. Thats what I know.
Thanks cafe for all that info, didnt know about the affiliates n stuff. Yeah, I do know that they need 'accomplished' people and not just high scores, still hoping... Smile

Any idea if shadyside is good? I always thought that was part of main UPMC.
@cafe: If you have an idea about UMass, UConn or Temple, please let me know, would really appreciate it.
Previously UPMC presbyterian montefiore was known as the main UPMC. Now UPMC presbyterian montefiore has merged with UPMC shadyside hospital, so the hospital is now known as UPMC presbyterian-shadyside. Hematology oncology ward of UPMC presbyterian-shadyside is located at shadyside, near the hillman cancer institute.

The only thing that did not merge in the process was the residency programme. Obviously because of the issue of IMGs. So under UPMC they have the shadyside categorical and montefiore categorical plus other tracks.

UPMC mckeespot, UPMC mercy are affiliated with UPMC however the hospital is different.
hanna123:

All of those 3 have good reputation....and obviously good fellowship chances!
so what is the verdict on UPMC International scholars program, is it good? is it considered a main UPMC residency and NOT affiliated?
Please...any one who gets interview from UPMC ISP?
@elmeromero

it depends on your other calls too. If you don't have great calls, then ISP is definitely better choice. Its not the main cat program.

@doctormed

even i am waiting. let us know if you hear something.
let use see.....

@doc-joe, I am also waiting...applied on sep 1....when do they usually call for interview?
wherr are u from??
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »