Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How many months of USCE is okay? - cytoplasm
I have a few questions, if you guys please help me as you have experience now.
I am IMG, YOG 2008, Step 1 231/96, CS two attempts (failed once, passed second time), taking CK soon. I will apply next year as this year its too late now. Okay so now what I need help with

1. To get IM interviews how many months of Hands on experience is just okay? I mean what should be the minimum? I am planning to do paid externship in IM and I hope I will have money to afford 3 months of externship and the associated expenses. Not more than that. Will it be okay? At least bare minimum?

2. When should I start it? April, May, June or May June July? If I do it May June July, will I get the LORs timely? Do the physicians give you the LOR soon after finishing the externship or they may delay it for 15 days to one month after the externship is over?

3. If I do one paid 3 months of externship, it will give me one LOR only. Will it be okay or do we need all the 3 lors from American Doctors. Will it be a better preposition to split the 3 months externship into two 6 weeks with two different physicians so that it yields two letters?
Thanks so much and have a great day ahead.
Does it make any difference if we do the paid externship vs the externship we get from applying to different programs or through contacts? Are IMGprep guys good?
Thanks again.
Please anyone through some light. I would be thankful as i have to do a lot of planning. I know very little about these issues. I will have to manage my little job ( entirely different from medical field) for these externships.
Answer to Question 1:
As many as months. But if you have time constraints, do at least 4 months in order to be ELIGIBLE for more than half of programs. Try externship instead of observership.

Answer to Question 2:
Doesn't matter unless it is too old experience. within last one year is good enough. you may ask for lor after couple of weeks, before that, it's stretch & may hamper chances of getting good lor.

Answer to Question 3:
you seem to have lots of access to extrnships. it is very difficult to get one from my own experience. even paid is difficult. better to have from us docs & as many as possible.

with all this you may add your chances of getting iv by only 10-20%
your scores & most importantly how you talk will decide your chances

gl
Thanks monalisa2, I appreciate your efforts in answering my questions in a nice way. Thanks so much. Have a very great day ahead.
hi,
Just few words from me... ( I am Not Expert but again cant stop myself ) Smile
Different programs have different criteria, So its better to plan yourself accordingly.Try to find requirements for program u r interested in as you have time.. Try to see if that program is really IMG friendly or they just say that they accept IMGs ( but they dont) I dont know about ur financial status but you should spend money only at worth places. I did apply at some stupid places but got rejections from them and when I checked residents photos none of them were IMG.
so start planning accordingly.
1 of my friend told me that anyhow I should get 1 year USCE when I came to USA. I dont know y but I took it seriously and got it. AND THAT HELPED ME A LOT while applying to some very IMG friendly programs who needs 1 year USCE.
Its not possible for every1 to get it but again try for it now onwards only.Ur good scores will definitely help you. I worked in community hospital. When I joined I worked with 1 physician and tried to contact other faculty members and then worked under them and could get three LOR from Three diffrent US physicican but in same hospital . You should always try for getting more USCE and LOR.
Finally try for maximun duration USCE but if you have even 1 month USCE its definately going to be count.
GOOD LUCK.
Thank you Kusale. Your ideas are great, and I will keep them saved on my hard drive to see them late on when I will be doing it after one month. Thanks and a very good luck to you.
Where can i get externship experience and how to approach it.
I am planning for some paid externships. There are many, IMG prep, americlerkship, fmg portal ect. I think img prep is good. hope it helps. I also don't know much though
@ Kusale: How did you get 1 year USCE, would you help us how exactly you should go about it? and do you have a list of hospitals?
Do you have GC ? On what visa can you get USCE for 1 year?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »