Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Biostat ... my part :) - drock
In a population with a high incidence of cardiovascular disease, diabetics are at least twice as likely to die from myocardial infarction as are non-diabetics. A case-control study conducted in the community identifies 1,000 people with sustained myocardial infarction and 1,000 people without sustained myocardial infarction. The subjects are asked whether they have a history of diabetes mellitus. According to the study results, diabetes has a protective effect against myocardial infarction. Which of the following best explains the observed study results?

A) Latent period
B) Prevalence bias
C) Observer bias
D) Hawthorne effect
E) Recall bias
F) Confounding
EEE
e.
i think it is B
a diabetic patient will probably not hve trouble recalling he/she is diabetic
Because the prevalence of MI is high in the population, i think even non-diabetics will hve high incidence of MI..
hope there's more clarification to come!
BB.
DDD,,,Hawthorne effect
OOpps,I misread the question I knew Drock would not give an easy question that made me to think agian Big Grin
My answer is BB,,
prevalance bias which is a type of selection bias. In this questions diabetics which survived the MI are not the reperesentation of all of the diabetics bcs diabetics die more from MI than the non-diabetics so the groups are not rightly compared with eachother.
OOpps,I misread the question I knew Drock would not give an easy question that made me to think agian Big Grin
My answer is BB,,
prevalance bias which is a type of selection bias. In this questions diabetics which survived the MI are not the reperesentation of all of the diabetics bcs diabetics die more from MI than the non-diabetics so the groups are not rightly compared with eachother.
So the people who had MI said they didn't have DM while the people who didn't have MI said that they have DM. The group giving history of diabeties (which don't have MI) is not the true representation of the all diabetics in the community because most of the DM patients have already died when they had MI. The study results however showed that diabetes is protective against MI as diabetics don't suffer MI as much as non-diabetics suffer.
aaa
Prevalence Bias: Occurs when a disease or condition is characterized by early fatalities, as some subjects die before they are diagnosed. Prevalence bias may also result if there is a time gap between exposure / onset of the condition and selection of subjects, and the "worst" cases have died.

BBB
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »