Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
missing vaccination and geting recidency - jeyhof
Hi all,
can misssing vaccination be a problem for getting or starting recidency?
should we have sertain vaccines before we start residency?
if yes, what vaccines should we have?
According to CDC all HC workers need to show proof of vaccination for Hep B 3 doses, MMR 2 doses and Varicella, flu and MCV (case to case basis)

Most places would draw titers for Varicella and even MMR. At least the places I talk to on daily basis would want to draw titers if you claim you had MMR vaccine or had varicella disease.

They would do PPD if one was not done within last 2 years. If you had one done and have the medical card showing +ve test with measurement of the reaction, they will do a CXR and so on.

Every one would need regular and if you have never had a Td or last one was more than 5 years ago, your Td this time will actually be a TDaP and then you go back to regular Td every 10 years.

Of course flu vaccine is annual and is recommended not required

It usually doesnt cause delay in starting a job as long as you have full proof of vaccination or are in the process of getting your series. Hep B is a 3 dose series completed in 6 months, MMR has to be separated by at least 28 days since it is a live vaccine so technically no residency program would want a resident not starting their job to wait and complete all series as long as they are in process of getting them.

Here is a link I like to use on my job every day when I have to have a quick reference

http://www.uic.edu/nursing/forms/CDC.pdf

thanks, great answer. anybody else would like to post comments? did anyone have problems starting residency for a matter of missing viccination?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »