Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Check It Out, Got a 99/248 - drcopper
This was a tough exam. Only the smart and hard working people will pass it. So, if you are reading this, your not hard working, your a slouch.

What you need to know.

This new exam is hard. Not just hard, freaking hard. You have little hope of passing. Unless you take my advice.

top 10 things to do and not do for your step 1 prep.

1st- Books, this is what you need
----------------------------------------
Physiology – Board Review Series (5th edition) – All you will need for physiology
Genetics- Board Review Series (1st edition)-
First Aid 2010 – Wrote notes in this as I went along with my studies
Dissecting the USMLE Steps 1, 2 and 3 –( the Pass Program book)
Neuroscience- USMLE Road Map - went through this book with a fine tooth comb. Used these pictures (see attached photos as my main study and it didn’t let me down). Did the questions after each chapter.
Kaplan Anatomy Book- Special mention to this book, I used it as my main source for Upper and Lower Limbs. That’s all USMLE Step 1 seems to test on besides the Neuro stuff.
PASS Videos
Kaplan Videos
Kaplan Medical Review Books (early on to get the stuff I was lacking from school)
First Aid Q & A for the USMLE Step 1 (book)
Review of Pathology Qbook (2nd Edition)
Biochemistry- Lippincotts 3rd edition
Made hard copy of Pharmacology Flashcards from the First Aid 2010 book
Made electronic flashcards of PASS Books and my Own
Qbanks- I got note pads and wrote down the explanations on questions I got wrong
- Kaplan
- USMLEworld
- USMLErx
- NBMEs, bought the extended version and studied what I got wrong 1 month out
- Took NBME form 6- 7 days before exam and was 4 points out from my score.

2nd- smarts, if you don't have any then don't take this exam

3rd- praying- if your praying, then your weak minded and you seriously can't think for yourself. If you pray you might as well quit studying, because this exam only tests your ability to think and working things out on your own.

4th- giving up- if you've got doubt after reading my post so far, you're not a good as you thought you were. only the strong don't give up. You should have had the 'tude to say "eat it", i'll beat your score.

5th- if you are going to look things up during the test then you are not ready.

6th- thank me when you pass

7th- ask me what you did wrong if you didn't pass and I'll be brutally honest with you. I want the masses to pass. Sometimes when people are straight up, no bull, talking to you about whats wrong, then you will know. I don't believe in blowing smoke up peoples butts to make them feel better. If you want to pass, I'll help, but be prepared to hear what you don't want to hear

8th- Drop the study partner. All they do is waste your time. You can't take a study partner into the exam with you. All you and your study partner do is talk about stuff that isn't step 1 related. Only go to people for quick 5 minute questions and this should be done only 1 or 2 times a week.

9th- Questions are your best friend. Use them and learn from them. Do 10 000 questions minimum.

10th- thank me later.
Lol..
Must say.. ur words scared me wen i read the first two three lines of ur post!!
Very very Frank Advice.. though gud way of arousing 'lazy tarts' like us..
thanks a lot..
can u tell about ur UW scores??
n yeah.. oops.. Congratulations on ur big big success.. Smile
Test Banks Used:
USMLEworld Score --- 66% [71st percentile] (100% completed)
USMLEworld Self-Assessment test 1 --- 630/ 240 predicted usmle score
USMLEworld Self-Assessment test 2 --- 660/ 250 predicted usmle score
Kaplan Q bank --- Did it, can’t seem to find score (I think it was around 66%)
USMLErx --- 72% / [234 +/- 20points for a prediction] (100% completed)
WikitestPrep --- 78% [predicted 226 on usmle] (100% completed)
Neuroscience Questions in Electronic Book (see material used)
Rapid Review Pharmacology (didn’t keep score, old q bank but kept me sharp on pharm mech)

Well, your post made me smile Smile
Thanks for sharing and big congrats!! You deserve it.
hey r u one of the guy who thinks u're way or no way just opinoin there is different way of approching life for example there is nothing wrong or it's not weakness to pray I know a lot of succesful people eg the neurosurgeon BEN CARSON who talks how prayer helped him and you r not even yet a resident .with all do respect u can express u're felling but don't think u're way or no way that is a very immature way of thinking just opinion
I wish u will see and understand things can be done in many ways u can say what worked for u with out being annoying thank you I wish u all the best
Well thanks so much for ur experiencce and preparations. seems from ur post u didn take any nbme. r u from India by nychance?
Congratulaions on ur score .
But, please don't take it to your head.
Many people have done it in many different ways. Your way is not the only way. I'm sure you didn't really mean that.
And I 'll shout out loud that even after hard work, God is the only one who makes the things go our way!
I have one more query.. how can i get rid of making silly mistakes?
i mean eventhough i know things after i see the options i get tempted by them and tend to overthink and then mark the wrong answer and later i realise i did that mistake and go back!
m talking bout UW here..
congratulation for your great score.
i think your way of study is good but its not the only way to be success.dont scared people please.i know a lot of med students that just read kaplan notes with videos and just done uw qbqnk & got 99...........
also praying will reduce stress and usefull.....
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »