Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Check It Out, Got a 99/248 - drcopper
gunusmle,

Silly mistakes are made by guessing. You can get out of that habit by doing more and more questions. If it helps you, don't look at the answers after reading the question. Hold a piece of paper up to the screen and cover the answers. Now, work through your process in your head step by step, line by line. You should be able to come up with an answer. Now remove the paper and see if the answer you had is there. If it is, pick it. If it isn't, go back and re-read the question.

You don't need to know the answer of a question, you just need to know what it isn't. So another method, is read the answers and yourself- "why isn't this the answer". The questions are black and white, there won't be "ifs".

continue to do quetsions, that will smooth out your silly mistakes. I've been there, thats why, I say to do at least 3 q banks.
yeah thanks so much. ur words really are worth listening to.. i wud try this out and lets c.. maybe i start improving!!
First, I'm not from India.

Second- for all people who have problems with me saying prayings not going to help you, don't take my word for it. why not go sit in the exam without studying and pray to god about every single question. See, what god tells you to pick. While you're doing that, I'll study and go in the exam and use my conscious mind while your subconscious tells you to pick (a.k.a- god).

Then we'll compare scores.

drcopper,

I would like to speak with you. I am a second year medical student- and will take Step 1 in July of 2011. My target score is 270. Can I have your email?

-CE

p.s. I loved your post.
sure, its

crookedhatmcgee

Cool. Sent you an email.
hi drcopper,

i hv heard tat they have changed the exam pattern but has this latest version
become tougher too ???

how many percent of ques will be from UW source ?? (directly and indirectly)
Smi1985,

latest version has become tougher. They have dropped the questions down to 46, but then they have longer questions now, so you're not really gaining time.

The exam is tougher in the sense that back 10 years ago, you only had to memorize 1 thing. . now, you have to know concepts. Memorization will only take you so far. You have to be able to think things out and join things together.

some people have said the nbme 5-7 forms had about 10 q's directly from there. but as for UW, there will be no questions from there. qBanks are there to help you learn and gauge what you've learned. If you can do the qbanks, finish off with USMLEworld, and do well, then you should be good with the exam.

as an example:

if a question tells you about a baby, and it all points to meningitis and the gram staining is negative, are u still going to pick what the 1st 3 lines are in first aid about menigitis (group B, e-coli and listeria)? No, you gonna think- virus. Don't look at any other anwser jsut find virus- click and move.

This is very important. You HAVE TO ANSWER WHAT THEY ASK YOU, not what YOU think they ask you. Language is a big part of this exam.. Don't make their question fit what you think they want.

Congrats...
Thanks bunch for reality check.... i feel better not having ANY STUDY PARTNER....
I dont feel bad now making my own charts and flash card people say I waste my time for all that...
thanks.. gl
drcopper... yes, it was probably VERY hard for you... it depends on your intellect, memory and capacity.. Wink
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »