Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NBME 3 Block 2 Q8 - ia
8. A 50-year-old man has a cardiac arrest during sexual intercourse. He is promptly resuscitated and recovers uneventfully from an acute anterior wall myocardial infarction. At discharge from the hospital, he and his wife inquire about the safety of future sexual intercourse. Which of the following is the most appropriate advice?
O A) Psychiatric consultation is necessary
O B) Sexual intercourse should be performed while wearing an ambulatory ECG monitor
O C) Sexual intercourse will be safe when exercise tolerance improves
O D) They should wait 3 months before having sexual intercourse
O E) They should have sexual intercourse as soon as possible to overcome the fear of another event
i think its ans shud be e bec sex is not strong enough to cause MI from mtb
i think it's E too ..... but the answer key says C
can someone explain ??
Yeah i also thought E...according to whats written in MTB

Maybe the answer key is wrong
It's controversial topic.

It depends on individual, check the previous condition of MI, type of MI, how severe it was, how treated.

This case had ant wall MI, had cardiac arrest during sex. Eventhough Q mentions that he recovered eventually, last incidence was not only chest pain and angina, that was cardiac arrest.
So, in my opinion, ans C is more reasonable, sex will be safe when ex tolerance improves.
Ans C.
cccc is correct
hi,

The question in this vignette, Inquiry about safe sexual practice after an MI, so
Ans:C.

If the question asks about the Fear/ anxiety for sex, then the
Ans:E. {Ref:pg -74, Master the Boards, step 2ck}

Thanks
Kumar
The answer is C. Page 74 Master The Boards 2 second edition and page 48 Master The Boards 3 second edition.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »