Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
plz guide me... - determined
Firstly hello to all of u'll in this forum, i've been accessing the forum regularly but today i join in as i need your valuable advice.

i just got the result for the usmle step 1 i scored 57. I really dont know what happened i really studied like crazy for like 6 months i had done the Kaplan, Firat Aid, the Q bank,Q book i used to score an average of 65% in the q bank.
when i took the test i felt it was eazy and similiar to Kaplan Q bank i was really hoping to score around 90 ...... i dont understand ........ how did i missjudge myself i dont know what happend. I have never failed an exam, I was a very good student in Med school

Maybe whatever happenned, happens for the better, maybe i'll turn around with a real good score, but my problem is a little different. I have signed up for Kaplan reviews for Both Steps 1 & 2, and unfortunatly my access to the centre is only for nxt 3 mths (i cannot afford more courses as i worked hard to pay off the tution)

I really do not know if I shd finish off with the lecture series first and give step 2 first or after the videos are done stay at home and study step 1 first ,give it and then study step 2 and give that too in quick succession, I dont know i'm too shaken up to even think straight.

i really need some encouragement and a booster ....... any advice ???????
hey all u guys plz advice rather than just move on I'm lost as i need someway to know how to go ahead.

Hi Dear Friend!

Sorry to hear your misfortune...We all go thru that. Well it seem like you really have to know your basis...57% it is not good at all. If i were you i will take a course like Kaplan .. live lecture... first get the books read them for 2 months, then take the course .. get a study partner .. do more questions and before retaking the exam take NBME... I don't know why people don't answer you but i think you should really work hard. It's difficult to go from 57% to 90%.. I hope i helped.

GL
hi determined

i am realy feel sorry to know this .ya u definately go with ur step 1 first about ur kaplan course u joined centre prepration .for this u ask ur center manager that i have problems with my so and so and u need breek ,they freeze ur time .hopefully they give u breek uptill wht time u want at least with in one yr u again join ur kaplan .and review for left 3 mth with step 2 i think this helps u .and better option .now u start ur selfstudy for step 1 at library like place .i think u understand me wht i mean .gl
well determined,your post sends shivers down my spine!sorry to know abt ur score...
well,i m in the same state as u were before ur exams...qbanks around 75..less than two weeks away now!my advice wud be fin off ur step 1 before u go ahead..do more justice to it as i think step 1 is about ur basics..ur fundamentals...dono how sensible it wud be to go to step 2 without fundamentals...just relax,think about it with a purpose to fight it back,to strike back with a vengeance!i m sure u know wat to do..we can give u hope only apart from words of encouragement..belief can only come from believing in wat u do..start with a lan,analyse and u wud feel better in a couple of weeks..getting a low score iss not the end of ur dream to pursue residency...i dont mean to sound sarcastic determined but u atleast have a chance to totally change wat u have...a lot of people wish to fail than get an"average"score..look at the positive side of it..i m afraid to say thats the only choice all of us i have...if we got to get anywere beyond"average"
hope my words helped..i donot wish to be sarcarstic in any way..my good wishes to you..DONT PANIC...EVEN IF U DO,HOLD URSELF...ITS VERY NORMAL!!
Deatermeind

Let me first Congratulate you for taking the test! Trust me I am not kidding. I am so afraid to take the test, can't even tell you. Sorry that you failed, but it happens. Most of the people fail first time, so do not feel that it is only you. My family has been telling me to just seat for test, not to care what happens.

If you are on F1 from Kaplan then it might be a problem, but if you have F1 from other school or in any other status, As per I know, you can always use your rest of the period anytime with in 12 months.

Many KAPLAN employee are not aware of this rule, you can call the National kaplan center and be sure of it ( I do not know if they still have this rule valid).

I believe you will bounce back with higher score. Good luck friend.
hey determined...did you take the nbme exam?
if you did how did you do on that?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »