Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
archer questions - marcrophage
Q129] You receive a telephone call from a worried mother. She says her 8 month old son just had a seizure lasting for 2 minutes. The description is generalized tonic-clonic. The seizure has subsided. He is feeding well and acting normally. His temperature is 103F and RR: 28/min. The child is not in any distress as per mother. She asks you what needs to be done. The most appropriate response :
A] “Take him immediately to the nearest ER”
B] ”This is nothing serious. You need to stay calm”
C] ”Give antipyretic to the child and monitor the temperature”
D] ” Does anyone in your family have epilepsy?”

Q 130] The patient’s mother in the above question also asks you what is the risk of her child developing a recurrent febrile seizure in future. The most appropriate response :
A] There is no such risk to your child
B] Risk is increased if his family member has a history of febrile seizure
C] He has no increased risk since he is younger than one year
D] He is at increased risk of developing intellectual impairment and neurological deficits.

Q131] The child’s mother is still very concerned and she has further questions. She asks you, ” Doctor. I am very worried. Does this episode of seizure increase my son’s risk of developing future epilepsy?”
Most appropriate response:
A] Your child had a simple febrile seizure and is definitely at very high risk of developing epilepsy
B] Your son will be at an increased risk of epilepsy if father has history of febrile seizures.
C] If another seizure occurs during this illness with in 24 hours then he will be at increased risk
D] He will not have increased risk of developing future epilepsy.
D, B, D
C, B, C
Yes, you r right, I found that simple febrile seizure...should not occur more than once in 24 hrs.
Thanks for correction.

Helpful link for others.

http://www.mmc.org/workfiles/mmc_bush/Fe...deline.pdf
C,B,C
Q1. A or C.. Why not A? you might need to do PE toevaluate for meningitis/focal signs which mom may not recognize.. and therefore ask the mom to go to ER immediately...

Q2 and 3: B and C.
thanks forever, msshyd axiom and kanag...
thanks forever for the link too...
i am fine with C B C as well but i am also ok with A B C....
misshydor forever or someone else...can you explain as kanag aks...why not A for the first question ?
thanks...
marcrophage...seizure went away and was associated with fever. Treatment of febrile seizure that goes away is just antipyretic.
d, b, c
BBC
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »