Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Work in UK or US externship?? - shilpakruti
hi friends, i have one question, which one is more valuable to get residency in USA?
Work experience in UK ..OR... externship in US?
I am very confused. I have got low score in step 2 ck (76). how can i improve my resume??
Kindly help.
If there is someone who has personal work experience in UK or knows a friend who have done it, please email me to erasusmle
Thank you.
i would think externship trumps everything else.
UK work experience still require passing the uk exams and getting work visa etc
everybody else....please continue your input.
hey guys what do you think?
Hello Shilpakruit, I am very sorry to hear about your troubles on your CK exam. Of course the probability of your getting into residency will depend on the other factors in your application. There are programs that believe good test taking abilities are NOT what makes a good doctor or residency candidate, you will want to appeal to those programs.

Your specialty choice will play a big role in your ability to obtain interviews as well as the following:

1. your performance on your other exams
2. your residency relevant clinical experience in the US,
3. your LORs from US licensed physicians documenting hands on experience
4. your graduation date (and activities since you graduated)
5. your immigration status,
6. interviewing skills (the interview is crucial and this includes your english fluency, communication skills, and familiarity with the US healthcare system)
7. ECFMG certification when you submit your application
8. and if you need visa sponsorship, your step 3 exam (this should only be attempted after you have all of the other 7 factors)

If your dream is to come to the US I would say that you certainly should not loose hope. I am not familiar with the UK system so I cannot offer a comparison for you but of course I do wish you the very best in whichever path you choose. Good luck!

Molly
well I have worked in U.k for 8 years, Family medicine board certified-MRCGP,scores step-1 =92 and step2=99,cs passed all 1st attempt,applied for family practice-50 programs,internal medicine=150 programs,anaesthesia=55 programs,so far only one internal medicine interview.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »