Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CCS: Blood Cx in Endocarditis - how far apart?? - apple09
How far apart are blood cultures performed to confirm bacterial endocarditis?
you're supposed to do multiple cultures, so how far apart do we choose them on CCS?
This is a very important question and it seems can cause us to lose a lot of score in Infective endocarditis case. Dr.Red CCS says get THREE Blood cultures MUST be done 30MINS apart before antibiotics in infective endocarditis because it is extremely imp to have culture results here.

First, do focused physical. Then go to order sheet order 1 set of blood cultures along with other orders, advance clock by 30 mins, get the 2nd set of blood cx. Advance clock by another 30 mins and get the third set. Give antibiotics after 3rd set blood cx are ordered. That means we are giving antibiotics within 1hrs of arrival which is great.

In other cases like sepsis, 2 blood cx are enough and can be done 30 mins apart. But for IE case, please remember THREE CULTURES, each 30 mins to 1hr apart and ANTIBIOTICS ONLY AFTER COLLECTING ALL THREE CULTURES

thanks for that info. I did not know this
Up
Archur says 15 min apart. 30 min will be too long. I hope the Case doesn't end by then. I mean as fast as they are ending these days. we better be cautious.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »