Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My sincere advice to low scorers... - libby
For those who have low scores.....

Say good bye to residency. Don't keep on trying year by year by wasting so much of your hard earned money. People might advice you to apply after improving your resume by doing some research and publishing some papers. The PDs will not look into your research and papers (even they are published in NEJM) unless your application finds its way to the PD table by virtue of scores. I am the living example. I have low scores with CS attempt. I have done research and published 7 papers (1st author in most of them) and submitted another 7 or 8 manuscripts. But still i do not have any IVs so far. Though I am taking this USMLE failure due to low scores as a personal insult, I have started thinking about other avenues like working in pharma companies, doing PhD, etc. When we all entered the MBBS, we were the cream layer of our corresponding state pool of candidates. By luck, hardwork and other reasons, some of us got triple 99 and are getting matched. But that does not mean that we, the low scorers, are inferior to them. May be God wants us to achieve in something else. Another important thing, if you do not have any person in US programs to influence your selection, then it is not worth trying.

Take this USMLE failure as a lesson, take revenge and show to the world that you can do more than US residency and fellowship.
keep on dreaming and reach for the stars, by the way libby did you mention how many year(s) you apply to ERAS?
are u an IMG from India/Pakistan...? did u apply to community /hospital programs everywher? u hv so many research n publcns..still without interviews..? hard to believe...how much did u score on both ur steps? and r u done with step 3 also?
honest suggestion libby...
Hi.libby ,,you are NOT alone,,a lot of applicants has same situation ,,,,just could you please tell me more about your records,,like a your scores ,attempts,VISA status???thanks
are you done with step 3?
NBME laughing all the way to the bank as well for such troubles ...low scores and billion attempts w/ no residency f'n sucks ....
Maybe you can apply for research fellowship? Then make some connections and get into residency?

I agree with you. It's a very rough process and very expensive. You have a very good point.
Good luck with everything.
Do you best and leave the rest to God. Your dreams will come true. Do apply next year. You will make it happen with or without connections.

I am sad to hear that, Libby. You are clearly a very hard working person...

on the other hand I heard that research helps mostly to people who are applying to surgery or psychiatry; those who apply to IM or FM need to have USCE (observ. or externship)...so I think applicants with low scores need to focus on USCE, not a research....just a suggestion.
Take care.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »