Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
question 4 - lovetest
which of the following conditions decreases the likelihood of edema formation?
A. arteriolar constriction
B. Venous constriction
C. Standing
D. Nephrotic syndrome
E. inflammation
aa
the answer would be A.
but can somoene please explain why Standing would decrease edema formation?
standing would not dec edema formation it would infact in some cases inc dependent edema for eg a pt taking ccb's
"B". according to Goljan, tissue swelling(sign of acute inflammation) or edema is related to venous vasodilation. simply venules consist of 1 layer of endothelium and basal membrane, and pores between them.

@uragan. Venous dilation will cause the edema, since there is an increase in capillary hydrostatic pressure.
The correct answer is AA
wait...if venous dilation causes edema, then reverse venous constriction decreases "likelihood" of edema formation.

correct me please if I am wrong.Smile or am i missing something here...?

Thank you Smile
sorry, didn't explain it carefully. But venous constriction will cause the increase the capillary hydrostatic pressure(Starling mechanism). By increasing the hydrostatic pressure in capillaries increase the likelihood of edema. On the other hand, when you constrict arterioles, you decrease the hydrostatic pressure in capillaries, thereby decrease the driving force to promote the edema.
interesting, Thank You Smile

I looked at this Q from pathology point, when there is an histamine mediated vasodilation of venules, which lead to tissue swelling(tumor) in acute inflammation.(RR Goljan 3rd ed.p.21)

then U r right, this is physio q, i feel it is time to repeat my physio.
it's physiology, and I do believe they want you to know how to apply Starling mechanism.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »