Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
anybody 40 years old or more and study for exam? - mandana
I LOOKING SILENTLY TO WHAT DID YOU SAY GUYS.
YOUR IMMAGINARY THINKING ABOUT ENJOYING OUR LIFE AND SUDDENLY AWAKE TO DO THE TEST. IF SO WHY DID WE GRADUATE FROM OUR MEDICAL SCHOOLS.REALLY IT IS A STUPID THINKING. I AM SURE EVERY ONE OF US HAS A STORY.AND I WILL TELL YOU SOME HINTS ABOUT MINE,AND PLEASE AFTER THAT DONT GO OR READ ANY THINK ABOUT OUR PAGES FOR THE ABOVE 40 .
I WAS ANESTHESIOLOGIST FOR ABOUT 16 YEARS IN MY COUNTRY ,SO I AM NOT PLAYING DURING THAT TIME AND I HAVE MORE EXPERIANCE IN LIFE AND MEDICAL FIELD THAN YOU.
I AM ORIGINALLY FROM IRAQ AND BECAUSE OF THE WAR AND THE BAD SITUATION AFTER THE WAR I FOUND MY SELF ONE OF THE HUNDREDS OR MAY BE THE THOUSANDS OF EXPERT DOCTORS WHO WANT TO KEEP OUR LIFE AND OUR FAMILIES LIFE IN SAFE WHO LEFT THE OUR COUNTRY.
FOR ME THE ONLY OFFER I GOT THE IMMIGRATION TO USA,AND I KNOW ALOT OF MY FRIENDS DOCTORS ARE IN THE SAME SITUATION HERE IN USA.
SO GUYS WHAT DO YOU EXPECT US TO DO.
HOW TO LIVE HERE IN USA ,DO YOU WANT US TO WORK ANY THING WHICH IS UNSUITABLE FOR A DOCTOR IN OUR AGE.
LET YOU KNOW OUR DESIRE IS MORE THAN YOURS BECAUSE WE HAVE FAMILIES AND WE WANT TO TAKE CARE OF THEM .AND WE STILL FEEL WE CAN DO MORE IN OUR LIFE
SO IT IS NOT YOUR BUSSNESS TO INTRUPT OUR TRIP
LOOK FOR YOUR SELF IF YOU ABLE TO PASS THIS TEST.
oye antonella!! This is MY country!! I was born and raised here!! So YOU go back to your country!. Here we have enough respect for another person's health!! So, if my grandma comes to me with her boyfriend I will definitely allow her to have one. I will not ridicule her. Because her health is not getting affected badly with that. Dont compare this to having respect for other religions , views or cultures!!...We are talking about health of the doctor here...Not other things!!...They are two different issues. Dont mix the two issues!!...There is no limit to what we can achieve in this country....but that doesnt mean you go step in fire and say that "I can step in fire and never burn!!"...We are talking about the health of these senior citizens here. Ever visit a Nursing home in the US?? Please do!!...Are you going to make those Grandpas and Grandmas study usmle and do residency??..If yes , then you shouldn't be in this profession as you will make a very dangerous doctor!!
GOD BLESS YOU
ANTONELLA
@usmle2177
AND YALA2011
monad...It is OUR business and thanks for enlightening us!...Just practising as a doctor for

16 years doesnt make you any better than us. In this country there is no heirarchy or

superiority. Everybody is equal!!...If you want to feel that superiority go back to Iraq!! You

will be considered surperior there....Why come here??!!....And second, please pay attention

to your English...The grammar is not correct...and you are using caps which is rude. People

like soft gestured people here.
And to the ones that are thinking that at age 40 you can slow down and relax, you got it wrong ….
Most of the “ignorant ones “here live still with parents and you had NEVER been independent neither financially nor emotionally from your parents. Than when you get married, your umbilical cord is still to your parents, instead to your significant others.FYI,most of the people until 40 were having full time jobs ,raising kids ,doing some Masters or PhD in the same time without having luxuries to sit in their rear end for 10-14 hours a day to study.PD in America are changing their criteria of who to choose because most of the people with good score,IMG do NOT have a good side bed manners and they are “reluctant” to change their ways and to do things of “do what Romans do”. So, in the interviews, they want to see of how we handle stress while multitasking and juggling family Life with professional Life.
Therefore, if you think your young “immature age “ is your ticket to residency ,than have someone examine your head from head to toe. Residency is tough (I have seen my hubby who did it and now in cardiology fellowship at one of the world prestigious institutions),but let me tell you ,being with a good score is not good enough to keep you in residency neither ,nor your age. There is much more to it, than just age, scores and etc…. To be a successful doctor in U.S. you got a have a lot of skills that has nothing to do with medicine. So, whoever is 40 or whatever, SHOULDN’T GIVE UP on your dreams and whatever gap you have, you have to start filling it with Master Degree’s or volunteer work or something to show that you can do many things in the same time. No one cares if you ONLY sit at home and take care of kids. Most American women do have couple of kids ,do have a full time jobs and in top of that going to medical school and etc…
They are people who do NOT have a gap in their carrier –they have done some extensive research or teaching or working as some type of healthcare professionals such as medical assistant or a register nurse (RN) or a physician assistant (PA )–so they have proven them self’s in the U.S Health care systems and etc. Than we have some who have done postdoctoral fellows or PhD programs and etc….
So, prove it to yourself that everything is possible with hard work, integrity, sincerity and with God’s Help !!!
Happy New Year to all of you!!!
Warmly Yours,
Antonella

Dear Leena91,
You said it that there is no limit here, so therefore, there is no limit of age dear and you know it better since you are born here.If people find it age as a discriminatory factor in here, ,than they will find many things “wired “ in U.S.You CAN’T deprive people from HOPE, if that is the ONLY thing that they have…
I do respect your opinion, but I have to disagree. I am really sorry, but I can’t get more involve into your drama. My opinion is my opinion that can go either way or you can disagree with it, and I do not have a problem with that, but I do have a “problem” of how you treat people with your tone of voice. Keep it to your people at home, or to yourself,oki docki....

Warmly Yours,
Antonella
My Dear Fellow Colleagues,
Again if someone was working 16 years as anesthesiologist –that is not good enough???
How that can be???
Working 16b years is much more than siting in your rear end for 14 hours and gets 99.Program directors will look exactly for this kind of fellow doctors who have e16 years’ experience and ménage to survive a WAR and work under war conditions. So, with a decent score and with that professional and Life experience (a war and some), age 40 is going to be ONLY a plus. My friend graduated at age 40 from NYI in anesthesiology and she was an experience anesthesiologist in her own country. My other IMG Friend graduated residency in oby –gyn at age 46 and now she lives in Boston.(not much experience in U.S before residency ). My cousin graduated residency at age 36 and now (43 y/o old) with a successful private practice (he was working 3 years a waiter to pay bills and survive and that skill helped Him to learn the US. Culture better and to have a successful practice bc before that he was only a book worm).
My other friend graduated residency in psychiatry at age 40 and he works at state hospital with a good pay and good hours. I am talking here from people that I know very well from first hand, not some kind of random statistics..
My husband is moonlighting for a fellow Iranian who is 47 years old who graduated at age 40 and He made a Christmas Party for his employees and He stated that 7 years ago,he had a dream to build a successful network team and guess what –he had 7 offices and doctors ,nurses, nurse practitioners and physicians assistants and manager work for Him.He has more energy than most of you here arguing about age and bunch of bs…
So,enjoy reading the real Life stories,not some kind of whatever..
Warmly Yours,
Antonella

Dear kashvi
I did not say I am supeior than any one neither here nor any where.
Yes every body equall here. now I am asking please do not offend other people whether they are young or over 40. BECAUSE all of us equall. but my athics that I respect all people no matter who are they and where are they.
please respect our hope and belive us and encourage us to do it.
You know mona86..
The thing is that if people here CAN’T respect one another, especially their age, there is futile effort to defend our self’s of who we are and what we do. If people –doctors here can be “arrogant and ignorant “about age, than there is no way that ,they can be tolerant about people culture ,religion, race and other differences…It is just sad ,especially for people who are born in U.S. because they have been expose to people from all over the world.Mona86,try to get a decent score and do some volunteer work and some externship where you meet people and etc…I wish you all the best and do Not give up. May this “negative energy in here “ be your stimulus to fulfill your dream.Yet,stay away from negative people…
Warmly Yours,
Antonella
Antonella....While I love your stories and I do find them very encouraging, I have to say that you are arguing only one side of the coin!!..While you can praise the old imgs dont underestimate us young imgs. We have our own share of problems that we get through...that you have absolutely no idea about!! We are not just sitting on our rear ends only studying 14-15 hours per day!!....So please mind your language when you say that. Many of us do have jobs and volunteer work and USCE....We are not just sitting ...and many of us are inddependant and supporting ourselves. I also have several real life examples of people both over and under 40 who have got in...and each have their own life. These people over 40 have been having sex and enjoying life with their spouses and have got to experience the joy of having kids....while many of us young imgs are still virgins and nobody will marry us untill we pass these stupid tests. We have our own challenges to face!!...Our personal lives are not as rosy as you think!!....We struggle with all kinds of pressures at home, family , friends...many of which lead us into clinical depression sometimes. These people in their 40s enjoyed several paychecks...They had full freeedom to do whatever they wanted with their lives...we never had that!!...So are you going to say that we should forget about these tests and go enjoy life till we become 40 and then come back??...NO!!....We are the ones who are sacrificing....16 years experience doesnt mean anything except experience!!.....In this country once you enter , anything that you have done after your medical graduation is not counted and does not matter...except that it is a personal growth and fulfillment. Ofcourse one can never compare the growth of a 20 year old to a 40 year old....The 40 yrear old has more life experiences...and thats it. But I think the argument here is that the 40 year olds enjoyed life while we are sacrificing life. We have nothing...We work hard and build that life out of nothing. They have all that they need. Their biological needs have been met. They are the ones who are enjoying!!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »