Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does asking for a pre-match show desparation - hopefulll
Does expressing interest in a pre-match in the thank you letter reek of desparation. I feel i went for over-kill by doing that. What do u guys think. This thing is just freaking me out.
yes, but also whows them u are confident that u want to be there
there is indeed a fine line between being tactful and appearing desperate.

how many interview did you get? I asked for prematch in all of them. matched in my 2nd choice program.

BTW, I AM A SPAMMER. he he.
I got 11 interviews, but no prematch yet. I have got personalised positive mails from 4 pgms, but no PM. Making me desparate[literally..hehe] since this is my 2nd match. So u didnt get a PM either..ryt>??
the only downside of asking one is the programs might rank u lower since u alredy stated ur interest in them so its safer for them to lower ur rank
hi hopefull ,you situation is exceptionally similar to mine in the past. I did not get a prematch, which in retrospect was a good thing. I matched to my 2nd choice program which turned out to be great!..
@chocobo, I dont understand ur logic, coz if pgms want u , they will certainly rank u high based on merit and not on whether one asked for a PM.
More than desperation, it may actually mean you are interested..so if you dont want to sound very desperate, you can suggest it by saying how the program is the one you have been looking for and how much you will like to be a part of it...

One important problem with asking for the prematch though, particularly if you are a good candidate, you sence that you have been liked by the PD and you are waiting to be interviewed by a better program later, is actually getting the offer...and then there is no way out.

And yes, as Chocobo pointed it out..it may rarely have an untoward effect.

But taking that in to consideration, I think it is still safe to ask for a prematch.Better still, express your interest covertly and tactfully, particularly when you yourself are not sure that you will accept the offer if made.
yup, as mentioned in the article
"If you present yourself with poise and converse professionally, there is no reason not to ask for a prematch....An IMG applicant should definitely ask if the hospital offers such opportunity. If this is done in a business like manner then it will be received well and there is nothing to lose."
Thanks guys for the input. Appreciated!!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »